Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kernel 2.6.24-21 compiled with gcc 4.2.3, but latest stable gcc is 4.2.4

Beans

kernel 2.6.24-21 compiled with gcc 4.2.3, but latest stable gcc is 4.2.4

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with all recommended updates.

I recently applied the kernel update from 2.6.24-19 to 2.6.24-21, but when I try to reinstall VMware tools (I'm running Ubuntu in a VM on VMware Fusion 2), the installer complains that my kernel was built with gcc 4.2.3, while I have gcc 4.2.4 installed on the system.

I got both the kernel and gcc from the standard Ubuntu stable package repository. Is it an Ubuntu bug that the latest available kernel was compiled with a different version of gcc than the latest available gcc?

And would it be problematic to reinstall VMware tools, which compiles kernel modules, using the newer version of gcc? The tools installer strongly discourages it.

(Note: the gcc package reports its version as 4:4.2.3-1ubuntu6, but the gcc-4.2 package reports its version as 4.2.4-1ubuntu3.)

Beans

Re: kernel 2.6.24-21 compiled with gcc 4.2.3, but latest stable gcc is 4.2.4

Quote Originally Posted by mykmelez View Post

I recently applied the kernel update from 2.6.24-19 to 2.6.24-21, but when I try to reinstall VMware tools (I'm running Ubuntu in a VM on VMware Fusion 2), the installer complains that my kernel was built with gcc 4.2.3, while I have gcc 4.2.4 installed on the system.

I got both the kernel and gcc from the standard Ubuntu stable package repository. Is it an Ubuntu bug that the latest available kernel was compiled with a different version of gcc than the latest available gcc?

And would it be problematic to reinstall VMware tools, which compiles kernel modules, using the newer version of gcc? The tools installer strongly discourages it.

(Note: the gcc package reports its version as 4:4.2.3-1ubuntu6, but the gcc-4.2 package reports its version as 4.2.4-1ubuntu3.)
    same problem here. The odd thing is that my laptop did not do any upgrade to 4.2.4, while the VM got this odd gcc today. And I do not now how to downgrade to the 4.2.3 version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Re: kernel 2.6.24-21 compiled with gcc 4.2.3, but latest stable gcc is 4.2.4

I've been trying to reinstall vmplayer on my upgraded Hardy Heron install (kernel = 2.6.24-21), and I get a related message:
    Code:
    Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.2.3", while you are
     trying to use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.2.4". This configuration
    is not recommended and VMware Player may crash if you'll continue. 
    Please try to use exactly same compiler as one used for building 
    your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" 
    version "4.2.4" anyway? [no]
    Choosing to override the suggested [no] appears to work on the face of it, but actually doesn't do much. Every time I try to run vmplayer, I get the message:
    Code:
    vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
    for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.
    And if I do that it leads me back to the first message. How do people resolve this sort of thing?

Julie
    Last edited by fractl; November 8th, 2008 at 01:39 PM.

Beans

i also having the same problem.
    i just install a fresh copy of ubuntu, and tried to install the VMware server, but i've got same messages as my previous friends...

how do i downgrade to version 4.2.3 for a clean installation of VMware.

thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I upgraded VMware two days ago from 1.0.6 to 1.0.8 and configured ignoring the compiler mismatch. It's since been running continuously with no problems. YMMV but it seems to have worked for me.

Ian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same problem here, with VMware Server 1.0.7 build-108231.

I suspect, however, that the changes ain't that big for an upgrade from 4.2.3 to 4.2.4, so I continued with a yes on the compilation question, which eventually succeeded. The VM works like a charm.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mykmelez View Post

Sigh,

I have the same problem...I tried the compile of VMWare Tools ignoring the warning...
    The compile failed and the old tools where gone.

I had a 2 week old backup that I used to replace the munged ubuntu vm and I decided
    *not* to try updating the Tools.

The old tools seem to be working...

I am running Ubuntu 8.04-1 under Fusion 2.1 on a Mac Book Pro.

I asked for assistance in how to revert back to an earlier version of gcc. ( A bit later
    in the day than this thread) but have not received any responses...

Jerry

Beans

I decided to try compiling the tools anyway, and so far so good. It's been about a week, and I haven't noticed additional instability. gnome-terminal crashed a few times after the change, but it hasn't crashed again for days, so that may be unrelated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

After reading this thread, I decided as well to go with the gcc 4.2.4. I agree, so far seems to be running OK!

Beans

How to downgrade from gcc-4.2.4 to gcc-4.2.3

1. Start Synaptic Package Manager
    2. 'Search' for "gcc" (and you should find your installed version, 4.2.4-1ubuntu3)
    3. Click on "gcc-4.2" to highlight that package
    4. In the 'Package' menu, select 'Force Version ...'
    5. In the resulting dialog, select '4.2.3-2ubuntu7 (hardy)'
    6. Complete the package install using the forced version

NOTE 1: I have not tried the above steps myself.

NOTE 2: I built the vmware-tools with gcc-4.2.4 and so far have had no difficulties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast