Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Quote Originally Posted by cacycleworks View Post
    btw - I would appreciate a link to instructions on how to copy the cache to my /home (that partition doesn't get formatted ever) and then how to point apt to it...
    cp /var/cache/apt /home/myname/mydirectory -R

I wouldn't bother trying to point your package manager at that directory. Instead, copy it back once you reinstall. Just remember/write down the way the files are laid out inside of /var/cache/apt and make sure you copy everything back the same way.

Beans

Oooo sweet! I read up on rsync and added a script to /etc/cron.weekly:

rsync -ricv --exclude "lock" /var/cache/apt /home/chris/linux_tricks

Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: kdesu path incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by taisao View Post
    I'm having the same problem. When I want to start kate with superuser access I have to give the path of kate. That's
    Code:
    kdesu /usr/kde3/bin/kate
    Yes, but you can add to the env the PATH
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/environment
    In something like this:
    Code:
    PATH="/usr/kde3/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games"
    This is also really necessary to use kde3 apps into Gnome env.
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Are there any known issues with the KDE games? I installed kdegames-kde3 from Adept. They appeared to install correctly, but they don't work. Literally, you click them in the menu and nothing happens... Not even the bouncing icon. I've uninstalled and reinstalled them three times. They refuse to work. The gnome games which are still on my system do work fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

A new issue I just ran into. Adept Manager launches okay, but if I click on "Manage Repositories", nothing happens. Any ideas?

Beans

I have the new kde3 packages installed. but now I want to try out the kde 4.2 beta 2 the kubuntu devs have made available. what should I do? I think I need to remove all of kde3, then install the 4.2 packages, but I'm not sure how to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by astrophoenix View Post
    I have the new kde3 packages installed. but now I want to try out the kde 4.2 beta 2 the kubuntu devs have made available. what should I do? I think I need to remove all of kde3, then install the 4.2 packages, but I'm not sure how to.
    You have to add the repos of ppa neon as indicated on post #1
    look for the part:
    Do you still want KDE 4?
    then when you are in the login window you can choose which kde use
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What should I do about the knetworkconf-kde3 dependency?

Code:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      kubuntu-desktop-kde3: Depends: knetworkconf-kde3 but it is not going to be installed
                            Recommends: kdebluetooth-kde3 but it is not installable
                            Recommends: kipi-plugins-kde3 but it is not installable
                            Recommends: kubuntu-docs-kde3 but it is not installable
                            Recommends: strigi-applet but it is not installable
                            Recommends: system-config-printer-kde-kde3 but it is not installable
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Beans

When I run into issues like this, I use aptitude. You evoke it with 'sudo aptitude' at the command line. It will highlight problems in red and then you can press 'e' to examine -- and it will offer recommendations and/or show if it breaks other things.

imho, this is going to big and complicated enough that efforts really need to be spent getting kubuntu developers to help "the rest of us". KDE4 is wholly different from 3 and is absolutely NOT an "upgrade", "new version", or any other term implying we didn't get the rug pulled out from under us.

-Chris
    Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah - both aptitude and adept suggest the same "solution": remove kubuntu-desktop-kde3. This rather defeats the whole purpose though

I'm having lots of random issues with my system. Wine stopped working. I have to launch K9copy from cmd prompt for some reason (or else it crashes). For some reason Shift-Enter is mapped to "Logout no Prompt" and I keep inadvertently hitting that combo and getting immediately logged out. That sucks.

I really, really wanted the updated core stuff of 8.10. Particularly Compiz. With 8.0.4 I was having huge issues with Compiz consuming CPU to the point that I had to reboot every other day. Now that is totally resolved. Except KDE 4 is total garbage. I realize they are sort of starting over, but it's just no good right now. IMO, KDE3.5 is better than any other system: I have XP, Vista, Gnome and OS X 10.5. KDE 3.5 is so much better at everything. KDE 4 is on par with Gnome - which is to say, not very user friendly.

It would be awesome if the Kubuntu folks would add KDE3.5 support.

Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast