Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MS Office Mac 2008

Beans

Re: MS Office Mac 2008

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMack View Post
    It's bloated and if you attempt to remove the extra language localizations, the updater will fail.
    but does it really matter when you can get a TB for under $200?

Beans
    Hidden!

Bear in mind, that Office 2008 for Mac has absolutely NO support for macro's. So if you are looking to open a spreadsheet with macro's that's been sent to you from a windows user, you'll have to use Open Office 3 rather than Office 2008.

Strange but true!
    If someone tells you to sudo rm -rf ANYTHING, then DO NOT DO IT!

Don't run any command with rm in it unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: MS Office Mac 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Bear in mind, that Office 2008 for Mac has absolutely NO support for macro's. So if you are looking to open a spreadsheet with macro's that's been sent to you from a windows user, you'll have to use Open Office 3 rather than Office 2008.

Strange but true!
    I am using Open Office 3 on Mac Pro at work. I feel uneasy to use open office powerpoint. Even though I made whole presentation in Open Office, the settings are used to change if I open the file on Windows. I also feel, even these open source softwares are great, they lack some rigidity than costly softwares. And open source software looks just as a copy of the Windows/Mac softwares.
    Last edited by jeyaganesh; November 11th, 2008 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

well Apple has always sucked in Spread sheets, but I love iWork 08. It has an easier interface to use than M$ Office 2008.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    Bear in mind, that Office 2008 for Mac has absolutely NO support for macro's.
    VBA support will be back in the successor to Office 2008 [1] but that is probably only a cold comfort to the users of the current version who needs this functionality *now*.

[1] http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/13/...ons-to-return/

Beans

I hate MS Office for Mac. It's super bloated and the toolbars are terrible.

iWork is where it's at

actually, no. But it works. I'm trying to learn how to use VIM or something because I like simple text composition and editing (even for reports, etc.) but for formatting iWork rocks.
    Ubuntu = , but I = sometimes so I post s here and get answers then I because I get it ...
    but then I get again.
    Yup, that's pretty much how this place works

Beans
    Hidden!

My fiancée has M$ Office on her mac book and it's the only thing that really bothers her about it.

Every time she has excel up and running everything slows down, I much prefer open office. The only reason she uses it is because her university put it on for free so she can do that work for her phd.
    "All right amatuer hour's over. Let me show you why they call me the Velour Fog...."
    .:GitHub:.|.:Dropbox:.

Beans

On my 'Mac' right now *cough* and have both OO.o and MS Office '08. I would say I like both equally but for different things. MS Office is nice because I can share Office files with confidence that they won't look weird when they are opened in Office, and yet I like OO.o because I am more familiar with it and because it has a nicer interface (those 'palettes' in MS Office drive me insane!), except for the fact that the theme does not integrate with everything else. In MS Office, though, I also hate that when an office window is focus and you try to use spaces, the palettes get all messed up as far as which space they are supposed to be on. Also, the fact that you have to select File>Writer/Impress/etc. in OO.o annoys me a bit.

(See the screenies to know what I'm talking about)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

i think you would be better off with office 2007 and crossover probably cost you about the same too. at first i hated the ribbon interface but now i really like it

Beans

i've used iWork, OOo3, and MS Office 08 over here and OOo3 is by far the best. iWork is a joke and MS Office has very few advantages over OOo3, all of which are offset by the price difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast