Thread: Why change from Hardy to Intrepid?

Beans

Why change from Hardy to Intrepid?

What is the bonus of using Intrepid over Hardy; I've been testing Intrepid in Virtual box and the only good things I see are Gimp 2.6 and very much improved Metacity compositing. But after Phoronix speed test and reading the release notes ( which look like a list of bugs ) I think this will be the first time I won't upgrade to the next Ubuntu release. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, I really love Ubuntu, but I think this release should have be postponed and made much better...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Why change from Hardy to Intrepid?

It's your choice. If you don't want to upgrade, nobody's going to make you upgrade.

Personally, I cannot confirm the Phoronix benchmarks. My system has been as speedy as usual.
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans

Yes, your choice. As for me, I needed support for an RTL8187B wlan stick, which the new kernel provides. Other users have other reasons. My system is, as far as I can tell, just as fast as it was under Hardy. And overall it is more stable here (I know, this is very much hardware specific; this cannot be generalized, but under Hardy I had frequent system freezes, and they're gone under Intrepid...)
    Last edited by shane19174; October 30th, 2008 at 04:32 PM.
    Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I was having a ton of speed issues on my machine up until 3-4 days ago. after a massive update (to RC I guess), everything works amazingly. Firefox was using %80 of my cpu, now its taking %1-2 while I type this. Those benchmarks may need to be done on the full version of Ibex, and not the beta.