Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I should stick to only one distro, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down I should stick to only one distro, right?

My problem is that there are too many distros to choose from.

And i want to use them all, and I am not that good in linux as i dont know all the advanced terminal commands, all i know are apt-get and remove commands

So I try ubuntu for a month and then i want to change and try opensuse and then fedora and so on.

But by doing so i dont think i am learning linux, as all of them have seperate commands.

After installing mandriva i realized that sudo apt-get does not work here and they have their own command.

Why do all of them not have the same terminal commands?

And is it true that every distro has its own terminal commands?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I should stick to only one distro, right?

No, distros have different package managers. cp, ls, mv, etc are the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was wanting to use Ubuntu + some none debian based distro, like fedora.

The terminal commands are universal, as the same commands are in BASH everywhere. I cant remember what machintosh uses, but it is very similar.
    The big difference is in what programs you have, like apt-get, which is a program, is not in the default fedora.

It is good to learn to use different package managers and not only apt-get, it will make you a stronger command line warrior.

Beans

here's a tutorial that will teach you some basics that apply to all linux distros - http://linuxsurvival.com/

i'd also recommend the linux pocket guide from o'reilly - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596006284

Beans

Install Virtualbox, then you can try out lots of distros at the same time!

Beans

If you know apt-get already and are comfortable w/ using it, I'd recommend trying any Debian-based distro.

ie.
    Debian
    sidux
    Mint
    Knoppix

Keep in mind you should research each to get an idea of what you're getting yourself into before installing. =]
    Quote Originally Posted by *snip*
    I love it when people stop trying to help me and I just uninstall ubuntu because of it . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Linux comes in two families
    Debian and red hat
    Ubuntu is from the Debian family and
    (I am going to stop there, because I don't want to give the wrong info. Can someone please finish it off for me.)
    blog ~~~ last.fm ~~~ twitter ~~~ digg
    Just so you know, everywhere else on the internet, I am known as mynameistux
    Its just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Linux is Linux. The core set of commands is the same no matter what distro it is. If you know those, they will work on any distro. The biggest difference would be anything related to the package manager, other than that, there's only minor differences.

There's nothing wrong with trying other distros. It's fun. I like to play around with other distros. But I just stick with Ubuntu because it works the best for me.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by faraz_k86 View Post
    My problem is that there are too many distros to choose from.

And i want to use them all, and I am not that good in linux as i dont know all the advanced terminal commands, all i know are apt-get and remove commands

So I try ubuntu for a month and then i want to change and try opensuse and then fedora and so on.

But by doing so i dont think i am learning linux, as all of them have seperate commands.

After installing mandriva i realized that sudo apt-get does not work here and they have their own command.

Why do all of them not have the same terminal commands?

And is it true that every distro has its own terminal commands?
    I'm the same way.. I get comfortable and then want to change it. Thing is, I usually come back to Ubuntu because
    • I am familiar with it
    • I can get up-and-running very easily and almost in my sleep

Having gone to openSUSE and Fedora and coming from Gentoo I can say that the packaging system is the biggest difference, otherwise Linux is Linux, KDE is KDE, Gnome is Gnome, etc.

Other than that, hardware detection is not created equally and the installer can influence things quite a bit.

If you are going to try a different distro, then make sure you take the time to LEARN the other distro. I spent time with openSUSE and it took me a while to get used to and understand Yast. On the same line, I haven't taken enough time to learn Yum and the repositories yet to be comfortable so if I go Fedora or CentOS then I know I have to take some time to get comfortable with it.

At least the terminal commands are usually the same, just where each distro puts the config files may be different!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

k so after reading the replies i felt confident that all the distros are the same as far as the terminal goes.

So i installed mandriva 2009 and what do i find? apt-get is not applicable there, instead i have to use a command "urmpi" or something.

Now this is what i was talking about in the first place. :/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast