Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intrepid ibex, nvidia driver problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

intrepid ibex, nvidia driver problem

hello all.

ive just tried to install the rc of intrepid, the install went well, but i have found the same issue as i did with the beta of intrepid, that being that it wont let me use the nvidia 177.80 driver.

if i activate the driver and then restart like it suggests when the system restarts all i get is a blank screen, and the only way i can get a working system (or working graphics) is to restart and then select recovery mode and then select fix xserver.

has anyone else had this issue ? and if so have you found a solution ?
    technically i can manage with the screen as it is, but i am unable to change resolutions, or the screen size because i cant use the nvidia driver.
    cheers (i may post a bug report on launchpad)
    " It darkle's tinct tint, all this,our fun animal world "
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: intrepid ibex, nvidia driver problem

What video card do you have?

I didn't have any problems with my 6600gt.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the system ive just installed intrepid on is using an nvidia 8600gs (agp) which works perfectly by the way.
    i had the same problem with the beta of intrepid on my system, which is running an 8600gt pci express, im about to install intrepid (the rc on my system as well)
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How are you trying to install the drivers? They have done things a bit differently with the nvidia driver packages in Intrepid, I remember I went to System - Administration - Hardware Drivers and there were a few different options to choose from. The recommended drivers were the 177 version which worked perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i have tried 2 ways.

1 - when you first install kubuntu (ubuntu) normally if there are drivers (eg - for the nvidia cards) a message appears letting you know about it, you can then choose what ever suits (in this case i chose the 177 driver)
    it will then download and install whats needed (if anything) then it will tell you to restart the system, which i do,
    i am thne presented with a blank screen (no login window etc)

2 - i go to hardware/drivers and then select the recommended (again the 177 driver) again it installs whats needed, and again it says you need to restart the system, which i do and again im presented with a blank screen.

the system keeps telling me i should use the 177 driver but it wont actually let me use it.

i have tried removing it altogether and then re-installing in the 2 ways described above, and all result in the same thing, a blank screen when restarted.

for some reason things are not as simple as they were in hardy and previous, all i used to do was let it install and activate the restricted drivers and restart, then all would be well, but not now it seems.
    The shed and beyond.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

I had this same issue on both laptops I upgraded. What solved the problem on the first one was to use envyng to install the driver.

In a terminal

Code:
    envyng -t
    On the second laptop I accidently selected keep current menu.lst when upgrading which caused me to only be able to boot into Kernel 2.6.24-19. So I had to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add kernel 2.6.27-7 to the list and boot into it.

Hope this helps.
    Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz
    4GB ram 32GB SSD
    nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB
    Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: intrepid ibex, nvidia driver problem

Same problem here plus wireless

Maybe the packages are not ready to be released

Waiting to play with Ibex patiently.
    Ubuntu UserDocumentation
    Acer Aspire 5520 AMD Athlon 64 X2 1.8Ghz - Nvidia GeForce 7000m -
    4 gigs DDR2 800 - DVD super multi DL - 15.4 WXGA CrystalBrite LCD - 64 bit ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

The interesting piece of debugging information here would be your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file. I've seen similar sorts of strange nvidia behaviour before; when looking in the Xorg.0.log there's a big warning saying something along the lines of
    "You know that auxiliary power supply socket on the card? Please plug it in. I'm not going to start until the card's fully powered".

Even if that's not your problem, there's approximately nothing anyone can do without the information in the debug log - that is: Xorg.0.log. You'll need to get this by enabling the nvidia driver, booting to the black screen, then rebooting into recovery mode (not the GUI recovery mode - that will overwrite the log) and copying the log with
    Code:
    cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/Xorg.0.log-black-screen
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans

I'm having the same problem.

My video card is

nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 GT

and I've been trying to install the different nvidia drivers such as:

with system-->Administration-->hardware drivers
    and also with EnvyNg with no luck. As tecno-mole says, after the install and restart of my computer I got a black screen that says: frequency out of range. Then I have to restart the computer and I have to fix X server, but then I just got only the 800x600 resolution.

I read somewhere that the problem is with the nvidia driver, nothing to do with ubuntu, but even though is a nuisance. Besides that, II works fine in my computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Kleist View Post
    I'm having the same problem.

My video card is

nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 GT

and I've been trying to install the different nvidia drivers such as:

with system-->Administration-->hardware drivers
    and also with EnvyNg with no luck. As tecno-mole says, after the install and restart of my computer I got a black screen that says: frequency out of range. Then I have to restart the computer and I have to fix X server, but then I just got only the 800x600 resolution.

I read somewhere that the problem is with the nvidia driver, nothing to do with ubuntu, but even though is a nuisance. Besides that, II works fine in my computer.
    Same problem here as well with a Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4800. I tried to update using the hardware restricted drivers thing (doesn't even show up anymore) and also installing the 96.43.05 binary straight from nvidia. No luck with either.
    Last edited by Awperator; October 30th, 2008 at 12:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast