Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Live Hotmail (the new one) not working

Beans

Exclamation Re: Windows Live Hotmail (the new one) not working

I am afraid to point out the obvious -- but the "NEW" Hotmail interface not working with Linux versions of Firefox is by design!

It is a more hideous plan and the proof is quite easy to see foryourself!

I've got several machines and have several versions of Firefox installed ... On one Firefox 2.x and 3.x (linux binary AND win32 under WINE)! I've also installed the user agent add-on to "switch" the various agent strings (what is sent via HTTP and available via javascript) ... and guess what... in EVERY CASE, when the browser advertised windows -- it work / every time it advertises Linux (version of Firefox) it has big problems with the new Live Hotmail.

I am not making this up. I even put up a video on youtube (youtube.com/dx9s).

Install the User Agent and create a profile: (if you are using Firefox 3.x on Linux)

Descriptiong: Firefox 3.x (WinXP)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
    App name: Mozilla Firefox
    App Version: 5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
    Platform: Win32
    Vendor: {leave blank}
    Vendor Sub: {leave blank}

and you'll be able to use the new Live Hotmail just fine! You'll even skip the dialog page that ask you to upgrade to IE, FireFox, etc..

I think this proves that Microsoft has intentionally gone out of their way AGAIN! need I say more?

--Doug

P.S.> if you are using Firefox 2.x on Linux:
    Description: Firefox 2.x (Win2K)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17
    App Name: Mozilla Firefox
    App version: 5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17

and if you are sick, go ahead and lie to Live Hotmail on a Windows machine using Firefox 2.x/3.x but claim you are on Linux .. and you'll be unable to use Live Hotmail correctly!

change the Platform to Linux and the Agent to "Mozzila/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080922 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) Firefox/2.0.0.17" (and app version to the "5.0 (X11 ..." part) and Platform to Linux!

(or equiv for Firefox 3.x which I won't bother to post)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Windows Live Hotmail (the new one) not working

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    I don't find this that bad.

They sell an OS and if you like to use their free services they would like you to use their products.

There are loads of websites that require you to use Firefox or they won't work properly (some even deny access to non firefox browsers).
    links?
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dx9ss View Post
    I am afraid to point out the obvious -- but the "NEW" Hotmail interface not working with Linux versions of Firefox is by design!

It is a more hideous plan and the proof is quite easy to see foryourself!

I've got several machines and have several versions of Firefox installed ... On one Firefox 2.x and 3.x (linux binary AND win32 under WINE)! I've also installed the user agent add-on to "switch" the various agent strings (what is sent via HTTP and available via javascript) ... and guess what... in EVERY CASE, when the browser advertised windows -- it work / every time it advertises Linux (version of Firefox) it has big problems with the new Live Hotmail.

I am not making this up. I even put up a video on youtube (youtube.com/dx9s).

Install the User Agent and create a profile: (if you are using Firefox 3.x on Linux)

Descriptiong: Firefox 3.x (WinXP)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
    App name: Mozilla Firefox
    App Version: 5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
    Vendor: {leave blank}
    Vendor Sub: {leave blank}

and you'll be able to use the new Live Hotmail just fine! You'll even skip the dialog page that ask you to upgrade to IE, FireFox, etc..

I think this proves that Microsoft has intentionally gone out of their way AGAIN! need I say more?

--Doug

P.S.> if you are using Firefox 2.x on Linux:
    Description: Firefox 2.x (Win2K)
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17
    App Name: Mozilla Firefox
    App version: 5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17

and if you are sick, go ahead and lie to Live Hotmail on a Windows machine using Firefox 2.x/3.x but claim you are on Linux .. and you'll be unable to use Live Hotmail correctly!

change the Platform to Linux and the Agent to "Mozzila/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080922 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) Firefox/2.0.0.17" (and app version to the "5.0 (X11 ..." part) and Platform to Linux!

(or equiv for Firefox 3.x which I won't bother to post)
    Thanks... this really WORKS! This kind of aptitud by Microsoft shows the level of panic that they are and their better days are over I was thinking in changing my hotmail email address. no matter what they do even if Windows becames free I WILL NOT USE IT! because of this level of mono polio and because I never like Windows I did not even like their version of Dos and it was almost the same as the IBM's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by theamber View Post
    Thanks... this really WORKS! This kind of aptitud by Microsoft shows the level of panic that they are and their better days are over I was thinking in changing my hotmail email address. no matter what they do even if Windows becames free I WILL NOT USE IT! because of this level of mono polio and because I never like Windows I did not even like their version of Dos and it was almost the same as the IBM's.
    Calm down. I read on a similar thread, Yashiro said to go to about:config and change the general.useragent.vender to Firefox from Ubuntu, then restart Firefox. It works perfectly. The problem isn't Microsoft restricting the site to IE, it is that it doesn't recognize a browser called "Ubuntu". Firefox on Windows works fine without changing anything. The problem lies with Ubuntu modifying Firefox because websites don't recognize it as Firefox.
    Last edited by CoreyB.; November 6th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB. View Post
    Calm down. I read on a similar thread, Yashiro said to go to about:config and change the general.useragent.vender to Firefox from Ubuntu, then restart Firefox. It works perfectly. The problem isn't Microsoft restricting the site to IE, it is that it doesn't recognize a browser called "Ubuntu". Firefox on Windows works fine without changing anything. The problem lies with Ubuntu modifying Firefox because websites don't recognize it as Firefox.
    Yep I tried this but it dont stick it reverts back to ubuntu on reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB. View Post
    Yep I tried this but it dont stick it reverts back to ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i can not use hotmail with firefox. but, have no problem using hotmail with opera.

i can get to hotmail. open it it and all but can not send email with
    firefox.

opera has no problem with that.
    Last edited by matchstich; November 6th, 2008 at 03:00 AM.
    hardy 8.04 & 9.10
    Please Mark Your Thread as [SOLVED] After Getting Your Answers.
    under going chemo for 4 cancers, am on 3 heavy duty pain meds and one trank. am brain dead most of the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Yep I tried this but it dont stick it reverts back to ubuntu
    Thats odd, I rebooted and it still says Firefox, I've only rebooted once though.

Beans

I tied logging in and it hung on authenticating me. Is this the same problem you were having?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

MS is Evil, here's my of it if you like. proof

My solution, make your own email server! haha, but no, seriously, Microsoft can be jerks and block linux, but there's no reason they can't and if they want you to use their OS, then that's cool. It is a free service. What I'm curious about is whether it works on OSX. If it does, then MS is even more evil, if they don't, then everyone is being treated the same.

My question: why would you want to use Live Hotmail?
    "life's sweet, so photograph it; that way someone else can see how sweet it truly was..."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast