Thread: Mac Software In Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Mac Software In Ubuntu?

My workstation at home is a Ubuntu box, but I've got a Mac for work. There are some Mac-only apps that are simply phenomenally clever. While there are multiple solutions to the dilemma of running Windows apps on Ubuntu, I haven't come across any that I know of for running Mac apps. Even though I understand the economics involved, I'm still surprised about this, because the heritage of OSX and Linux makes it seem like it should be a lot easier feat to accomplish than getting Win apps to work. Am I missing something here?
    Desktop: Hardy Heron running on Intel QX6700, 4GB RAM, nVidia 8800GTX, and some GIGABYTE P35-based mobo.

Laptop: MacBook Pro, running Hardy in a virtual machine within OS/X 10.5.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Mac Software In Ubuntu?

Contains swearing. Apologies if offends anyone But make the point
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFAJDbV9Vfs
    Last edited by fatality_uk; October 29th, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans

yeh currently there isnt a "wine for OSX apps", its just a major priority right now
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

well, in the case of my computer - linux does look exactly like os x

(well, some days. right now my 'theme' is just a random collection of a bunch of theme parts thrown together into some unholy abomination.)
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
    My workstation at home is a Ubuntu box, but I've got a Mac for work. There are some Mac-only apps that are simply phenomenally clever. While there are multiple solutions to the dilemma of running Windows apps on Ubuntu, I haven't come across any that I know of for running Mac apps. Even though I understand the economics involved, I'm still surprised about this, because the heritage of OSX and Linux makes it seem like it should be a lot easier feat to accomplish than getting Win apps to work. Am I missing something here?
    If you tell us what kind of programs you are looking for, we might provide alternatives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My friend has mac version of mathlab, which had to be hacked a little bit to be run. I think he was running debian.