Thank you so much! This fixed my sound problems.
In case someone has similar problems:
I am using a GigaByte GA-MA78GM-S2H which has a Realtek ALC889A sound chip.
It was first partly working out of the Box with Ubuntu 8.10, and then suddenly SP/DIF IEC958 did not function correctly anymore.
Also when I used totem and activated AC3 passthrough it only played AC3 Videos, the others had no sound. Now I get passthrough on AC3 files and others are played normally, as expected.
Further it is detected correctly now:
$head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
Codec: Realtek ALC889A
I bought an Acer 4930G which comes with a realtek 888 sound card. I am having a problem with the microphone which is not switching on when I plugin the headphone. I found a patch just for my model here:
but the patch is not present in the 1.0.18A but it's present in the daily snapshot :
My question is I ran your script with the -snap option. so did it install this svn build or did it build the 1.0.18a build? I haven't restarted my system so cannot tell for sure if it's working now.
Last edited by soundcheck; December 23rd, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
nevermind, seems to be a TV issue...
Last edited by Da_Teach; December 24th, 2008 at 04:42 PM.
I do not think this is the script itself but upgrading to 1.1.18a via the script (or a ppa I found) seems to kill my desktop, I end up with a completely corrupted screen.
I using vesa driver etc all does not help, I am wondering what I can do to help find the cause.
using virgin amd64 interpid ibex mythbuntu with geforce 8300 mobo with nvidia 177.80 driver from repo
any ideas where to look, I had to completely rollback
hey folks thanks for all the support so far. im going on a trip and wont be able to work on this for a while but i'll let you know how it comes out when i get back in a week!
Thanks so much, soundcheck. I ran the upgrade script with -di and rebooted, then did both again, and it works!
Acer TravelMate 2480, Ubuntu 8.10
I am trawling through the log file (which survived the reinstall) and so far the only things I can see are:
all those do not look drastic at all (I think), output from the script claimed it had been successful.Code:checking for GCC version... ./configure: eval: line 5136: syntax error near unexpected token `)' ./configure: eval: line 5136: `my_compiler_version=4.3.2-1ubuntu11)' Kernel compiler: Used compiler: gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu11) 4.3.2 libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib//libasound.la' seems to be moved gcc -shared .libs/alsa-oss.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-oss-1.0.17/alsa/.libs ./.libs/libalsatoss.so -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/ -Wl,-soname -Wl,libaoss.so.0 -o .libs/libaoss.so.0.0.0 pcm_share.c: In function '_snd_pcm_share_missing': pcm_share.c:295: warning: ignoring return value of 'read', declared with attribute warn_unused_result pcm_share.c:297: warning: ignoring return value of 'write', declared with attribute warn_unused_result pcm_share.c:300: warning: ignoring return value of 'write', declared with attribute warn_unused_result pcm_share.c:302: warning: ignoring return value of 'read', declared with attribute warn_unused_result pcm_share.c: In function 'snd_pcm_share_thread':
also I cannot see why it would have anything to do with me running xcfe
thanks for helping me, sorry again for the earlier post
to use old fashioned speak: format c:, reinstall and now it works.
GDM was so messed up in the end I decided to reinstall completely, I also opted to install a regular Ubuntu first rather than the mythbuntu. I have the suspicion that the problem was coincidental with the installation of the script, sorry to have taken so much of your time.
Last edited by Cuppa-Chino; December 29th, 2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: problem fixed