Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Alsa 1.0.18 Installation Script

Beans

Re: Alsa 1.0.18 Installation Script

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    That's a good question first of all.

One possible reason:

You need to consider that Apple, just have to adapt OSX to their own HW-platform respectively BIOS only. What makes live obviously much easier
    for them.
    Nobody knows if there are following all the standards. They also might add workarounds to get things going.
    Takashi Iwai ( one of the leading designers at ALSA) is telling me that very often non standard BIOS implementations causing quite some trouble.

However. Send me the alsa-info.sh (again?) and I'll hand it over.

BTW: I agreed with Takashi to let you guys try the latest driver tar-ball as described over here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=65
    to make sure that we're not chasing ghosts.

I will add an option to the upgrade-script during this week , which will let you folks download and install the latest snapshot automatically.
    The above link will always refer to the latest snapshot in the future.

Cheers
    I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, been busy here. I am running a snapshot form Takashi's site from 12/12, can't be too old . Attached is my log from info.sh... everything seems fine, it'll suck if its a BIOS issue.. alsa-info.tar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thank you so much! This fixed my sound problems.

In case someone has similar problems:
    I am using a GigaByte GA-MA78GM-S2H which has a Realtek ALC889A sound chip.

It was first partly working out of the Box with Ubuntu 8.10, and then suddenly SP/DIF IEC958 did not function correctly anymore.

Also when I used totem and activated AC3 passthrough it only played AC3 Videos, the others had no sound. Now I get passthrough on AC3 files and others are played normally, as expected.

Further it is detected correctly now:

$head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
    Codec: Realtek ALC889A

Beans

Soundcheck,

I bought an Acer 4930G which comes with a realtek 888 sound card. I am having a problem with the microphone which is not switching on when I plugin the headphone. I found a patch just for my model here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux....76/focus=58114

but the patch is not present in the 1.0.18A but it's present in the daily snapshot :
    http://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot/
    or
    http://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot...g6e583.tar.bz2

My question is I ran your script with the -snap option. so did it install this svn build or did it build the 1.0.18a build? I haven't restarted my system so cannot tell for sure if it's working now.

Regards,
    wikz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiki View Post
    Soundcheck,

I bought an Acer 4930G which comes with a realtek 888 sound card. I am having a problem with the microphone which is not switching on when I plugin the headphone. I found a patch just for my model here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux....76/focus=58114

but the patch is not present in the 1.0.18A but it's present in the daily snapshot :
    http://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot/
    or
    http://www.alsa-project.org/snapshot...g6e583.tar.bz2

My question is I ran your script with the -snap option. so did it install this svn build or did it build the 1.0.18a build? I haven't restarted my system so cannot tell for sure if it's working now.

Regards,
    wikz
    It downloads the latest svn snapshot prepared by ALSA and overwrites the 1.0.18a. They won't step the revsions. You won't see anything else than 1.0.18a. Your mic should work now.

Cheers
    Last edited by soundcheck; December 23rd, 2008 at 09:14 AM.

Beans

nevermind, seems to be a TV issue...
    Last edited by Da_Teach; December 24th, 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not think this is the script itself but upgrading to 1.1.18a via the script (or a ppa I found) seems to kill my desktop, I end up with a completely corrupted screen.
    I using vesa driver etc all does not help, I am wondering what I can do to help find the cause.
    using virgin amd64 interpid ibex mythbuntu with geforce 8300 mobo with nvidia 177.80 driver from repo

any ideas where to look, I had to completely rollback

Beans

hey folks thanks for all the support so far. im going on a trip and wont be able to work on this for a while but i'll let you know how it comes out when i get back in a week!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
    I do not think this is the script itself but upgrading to 1.1.18a via the script (or a ppa I found) seems to kill my desktop, I end up with a completely corrupted screen.
    I using vesa driver etc all does not help, I am wondering what I can do to help find the cause.
    using virgin amd64 interpid ibex mythbuntu with geforce 8300 mobo with nvidia 177.80 driver from repo

any ideas where to look, I had to completely rollback
    Any strange messages in the installation log-file? Did you also run the restore?

You need to deliver a bit more meat on the bones.

Beans

Thanks so much, soundcheck. I ran the upgrade script with -di and rebooted, then did both again, and it works!

Acer TravelMate 2480, Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    Any strange messages in the installation log-file? Did you also run the restore?

You need to deliver a bit more meat on the bones.
    sorry that was bad from on my part.

I am trawling through the log file (which survived the reinstall) and so far the only things I can see are:

Code:
    checking for GCC version... ./configure: eval: line 5136: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
    ./configure: eval: line 5136: `my_compiler_version=4.3.2-1ubuntu11)'
    Kernel compiler:  Used compiler: gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu11) 4.3.2

libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib//libasound.la' seems to be moved
    gcc -shared  .libs/alsa-oss.o  -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/src/Alsa-1.0.18a/alsa-oss-1.0.17/alsa/.libs ./.libs/libalsatoss.so -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/  -Wl,-soname -Wl,libaoss.so.0 -o .libs/libaoss.so.0.0.0

pcm_share.c: In function '_snd_pcm_share_missing':
    pcm_share.c:295: warning: ignoring return value of 'read', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    pcm_share.c:297: warning: ignoring return value of 'write', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    pcm_share.c:300: warning: ignoring return value of 'write', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    pcm_share.c:302: warning: ignoring return value of 'read', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    pcm_share.c: In function 'snd_pcm_share_thread':
    all those do not look drastic at all (I think), output from the script claimed it had been successful.
    also I cannot see why it would have anything to do with me running xcfe
    thanks for helping me, sorry again for the earlier post

----------------------------------------------------------------------

to use old fashioned speak: format c:, reinstall and now it works.
    GDM was so messed up in the end I decided to reinstall completely, I also opted to install a regular Ubuntu first rather than the mythbuntu. I have the suspicion that the problem was coincidental with the installation of the script, sorry to have taken so much of your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cuppa-Chino; December 29th, 2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: problem fixed

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast