Thread: I need to install on an iMac (34 of them)

Beans

I need to install on an iMac (34 of them)

Hello all.

I need to install Ubuntu on 34 iMacs in our little lab. We need to use boot camp (or whatever that is) and we need to keep the Mac software (OSX 10.5) there as the default selection. (can we triple boot later?)

Has anyone here done that themselves on a standard iMac? Ours are 2 years old and we need Ubuntu to run gcompris and a few other educational games that are not avalible for the Mac.

I would like to hear a success story or two before I start; and what is the best how-to at this time? The one in the sticky above?

Thanks in advance.
    Linux User #225822

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: I need to install on an iMac (34 of them)

hmmm... you might want to setup one or two beefy servers with ubuntu, and then just connect to them with xdmcp (similar to terminal services for windows) from the macs instead - could be a lot easier. click on my sig for how to do that with linux and windows, and if xming is available for the mac, then you're all set.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by timcredible View Post
    hmmm... you might want to setup one or two beefy servers with ubuntu, and then just connect to them with xdmcp (similar to terminal services for windows) from the macs instead - could be a lot easier. click on my sig for how to do that with linux and windows, and if xming is available for the mac, then you're all set.
    or use a virtual machine (virtualbox).

You can start with the "Before you post" link in my signature. All the hardware guides are linked there.

moving from an OSX / Ubuntu dual-boot to a OSX / Ubuntu / Triple boot is not often an easy process. To make it work, you often have to completely start from scratch. (Windows is picky about partition changes.) but, yes, it can be done.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    or use a virtual machine (virtualbox).

You can start with the "Before you post" link in my signature. All the hardware guides are linked there.

moving from an OSX / Ubuntu dual-boot to a OSX / Ubuntu / Triple boot is not often an easy process. To make it work, you often have to completely start from scratch. (Windows is picky about partition changes.) but, yes, it can be done.
    I have no option that would allow us to use a virtual machine; policy restrictions.

I can not use 'two beefy Ubuntu beefy servers with Ubuntu, and then just connect to them with xdmcp' as this is not permitted at this time.

I also could not see your sig to click on. Am I blind today? I'll check later and see if I turned sigs off and have forgotten that I did.

I really need to just get Ubuntu on one iMac and working perfectly so that I might convince the bosses that this should be permitted.
    Linux User #225822

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by joepotter View Post
    I really need to just get Ubuntu on one iMac and working perfectly so that I might convince the bosses that this should be permitted.
    Very doable, though better help than that could be given if I knew what iMac model you were dealing with. The link in my signature goes here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869215