Thread: Let's copy Windows 7's UI!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Let's copy Windows 7's UI!

Quote Originally Posted by bryncoles View Post
    actually, having read about it here:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...windows-7.html

it sounds quite good to me. the only thing i really would like to see copied though is the feature whereby moving your mouse over an icon in the task-bar makes every window but that one transparent.

the only thing i use compiz transparency effects for is fading out windows so i can peek at the one behind, so this sounds like a very nice feature to me!
    i just checked compiz advanced settings and found out we already have this feature! go windows 7!
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Beans

Copying Windows® is exactly what we've been doing all along.
    Parcellite Clipboard Manager - In Soviet Russia, clipboard manages YOU!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Xyhthyx View Post
    No DEFINITELY NOT!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Anurag_panda View Post
    No DEFINITELY NOT!!!
    Go to KDE-look or GNOME-look and look up "Aero." or "Windows." Heck, even look up "OS X" for kicks.

There are so many themes and wallpapers going around trying to make Ubuntu look like Vista. They all fail. I have yet to see an Emerald theme or GTK theme that actually looks enough like Vista that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Vista is better at looking like Vista than Ubuntu will ever be.

I don't understand why all this energy is being wasted on trying to copy the UI of an operating system that is still in Pre-Beta stage. Their UI is obviously subject to change, and by the time it does change, we're going to be flooded with crappy Win7 look-a-like themes.

What we should be doing is putting all that energy into making GNOME and KDE as unique as possible while being visually appealing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Xyhthyx View Post
    Hardly...

From software to ideology Microsoft is copies linux far more than Linux copies Microsoft... Microsoft is probably the dirtiest player in the software game, I don't want to copy anything they do.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bryncoles View Post
    i just checked compiz advanced settings and found out we already have this feature! go windows 7!
    Whereabouts?
    Laptop: Inspiron 1501 - AMD64 (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, 120 GB HDD, ATI 1150. Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty testing.
    Beginner's Guide to the Terminal! | FutureLooks 3 on GNOME-Look | Follow me on Twitter!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Of what I've seen, the thing I like the most is the new Taskbar, not for the fancy graphical stuff but for the useful context menu (MS calls it the "Jumplist") with current and recent documents for office applications, media controls for multimedia applications and so on. It looks like they're extending the feature of "pinning" (in Windows terminology) applications from the Start menu to the Taskbar itself.

Here's the example PC Pro used in its article:

Obviously, it's a lot like Mac OS X's dock or something like AWN, but AWN doesn't offer application-specific functions in its context menus --- only the functions available in the GNOME Panel. App-specific context menus in the Panel should be a key target feature for Linux developers --- right-clicking a minimized Panel app or an icon in AWN or Cairo-dock should bring up an application-specific context menu. (I admit to not having worked with Cairo too much, but what I've seen isn't quite as good as what Apple already has or what Microsoft apparently has working.)
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is it just me or does anyone else also think that the bottom panel in the screenshot ( Post # 1) is VERY similar to KDE ?
    Will Unity break the Unity of the Community?...
    Only Time Will Tell...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

First of all, I think it is interesting to try and copy Aero, just for the challenge, even if I think it's does not look that great.
    However, something I really love in Aero is that in the file manager and in Internet Explorer, the address field and the previous/forward buttons are actually embedded in the titlebar, with really cool blurred transparency effects.
    Same thing with Windows Media Player 11's control buttons ( play/pause & co. ). I wish I could do the same with Compiz-Fusion.
    What do you think about it ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Its striange how losts of people think of KDE
    So it's a day for Kubuntu with KDE4 or two years or something for windows 7
    The thing I can't work out is where the got the idea for tabbed browsing from

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast