Thread: Bluetooth missing in Intrepid?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Bluetooth missing in Intrepid?

After upgrading to Intrepid from Hardy bluetooth no longer works. If I tickle it with a sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart the icon appears but is non-functional. Cannot set the name of my device, can't send files, can't receive files. Nada.

Anyone know anything about this? I filed a bugreport on Launchpadbut it's seen very little action or response. There's also another thread on the forums about this, but there's been no responses for four days and we're getting close to launch soon.

I'm running Intrepid x64, all patched up as of the 29th.
    Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Bluetooth missing in Intrepid?

I had to install 'gnome-bluetooth' to get 'gnome-obex-server'. Here are the contents of a little script I run when I want to use bluetooth...
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth restart
    wait 5
    bluetooth-applet&
    gnome-obex-server
    sudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth stop
    I can't remember why I put the 'wait' in, it's probably not necessary.
    Last edited by fabertawe; October 29th, 2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: update with script.
    Ubuntu Guide | Appnr | Linux Commands | Lowfat Linux | Bash A-Z

AMD X2 5600+, Asus M2N-E SLI, 2GB PC6400, MSI 8600GT OC, Ubuntu 9.10 x86_64
    Asus EeePC 4GB, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

An Intrepid update a few days ago broke bluetooth completely. I fixed it by completely removing bluetooth and bluez. After a clean re-install everything worked fine. Even after today's incremental Intrepid updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The bluetooth adapter I used to use no longer works in Intrepid. I filed a bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/268502

I bought a new adapter and it works. Still no "services" tab under bluetooth preferences - and my phone only reports a network service available. Is there a quick way to enable the other services?

Cheers
    PB Easynote SW51 | Turion X2 TL60 | nvidia 6100

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I tried purging everything related to bluetooth and then reinstall it. No dice. Same thing - I get a bluetooth-icon in the tray but it's a dud and non-functional.
    Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Beans

I have been experiencing the same issues. With 8.04 I was able to send and receive files between my phone and laptop. It seems as if my bluetooth adapter is still fully supported because i was able to receive a file after installing the gnome-obex-server, but I never needed that before. Also I can no longer push to my phone because it says that OBEX Push is not supported. This seems very backwards for ubuntu especially after saying that there would be increased bluetooth support (for Tethering etc). And I also can not set the services my laptop supports anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well they say that it upgrated the bluetooth stack, for me, I call it downgrade
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community

Beans

FWIW, it works fine for me in intrepid with all the latest updates.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    FWIW, it works fine for me in intrepid with all the latest updates.
    So you can send photos from the phone to pc or you are using the browse device button from the applet?
    Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom but sharing data is the first step toward community