Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa Area

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Tulsa Area

A little background; I've been tinkering with computers since a high school techie class in 97, and I'm fairly competent in windows, building my own systems and helping others do the same. I first found a Linux I could really sit and play with in BeatrIX, which grokked me to Ubuntu (then in the hoary hedgehog stage, if I recall correctly).

Anyhow, I got a new computer, the old one broke, and long story short I've finally found my excuse to jump back into Ubuntu.

Sadly, i'm still a total noob. Worse, a noob with nonstandard hardware and no extisting hardware budget.

Hi!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Tulsa Area

o/

Glad to hear about another Ubuntu user in the state, be sure to check out the info post at the top of the sub forum, should give you many links and you can, almost, always find me in the IRC channel #ubuntu-us-ok on Freenode.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Right on. I'm in Tulsa as well. Good to see I'm not alone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thumbs down Re: Tulsa Area

I'm in the Tulsa area (Vinita, actually) and go to school at ITT Tech in Tulsa. We have a lot of people there using Ubuntu. Fedora 5 was the choice for one of our Linux classes, but it sucked. Teacher wants to write his own stuff and use Ubuntu next quarter. He also uses it on his own equipment, so that helped. I got into it right after Feisty came out thanks to some friends at school, and have just myself acquired another several people, and am going to build an edUbuntu box for a friends daughter also. He would try to get his department (Sheriff's Office) to switch if it wasn't for their OTIS stuff has to be 2K/XP.

Beans

Langston Area

Hi!!!

I am from Langston area and just new in the area. People don't know really much about linux here. I have used Linux (Fedora) and has decided to switch to ubuntu. I putting ubuntu in all computer in my lab and will be running a server with unbutu server. Nice to know that you around.

Let grow up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: Tulsa Area

ah! this is groovy im not the only linux user in my area, not that i thought that i was but i havent met any others, im having a real problem with suse 10.1 (thinking of upgrading to suse 11.0 beta3 ) but anyway for the life of me I cannot install the the wireless linksys pci card in my system, ive read other forums where others had no problems, but the thing is different hardware, mobo's and chipsets all behave differently so i guess Im 1 of those exceptions

soooo............. can any of You guys help a dude out man?

I also have a quad 4 machine that i just built and im seeing that alot dudes are using ubuntu 7.10 for the q4, seems that they are getting it to work.

I mainly use linux for gaming and running my game servers (COD4)
    http://www.happycarnage.com

my specs are:
    extreme striker
    q6600(overclocked to the most stable point)
    x2 8800 gt(i know im gonna have fun getting to sli to work)
    creative xfi fatal1ty
    extremely air cooled
    4 250 hdd wd raptors raid 0
    bunch of pretty blue light thingy's
    1000 watt ps
    sata lightscribe bluray
    memorex dvd burner
    1 250 raptor and 400 maxtor setup as a raid 0
    and a 1/2 pack of camel lights later and !tada!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybob View Post
    ah! this is groovy im not the only linux user in my area, not that i thought that i was but i havent met any others, im having a real problem with suse 10.1 (thinking of upgrading to suse 11.0 beta3 ) but anyway for the life of me I cannot install the the wireless linksys pci card in my system, ive read other forums where others had no problems, but the thing is different hardware, mobo's and chipsets all behave differently so i guess Im 1 of those exceptions

soooo............. can any of You guys help a dude out man?

I also have a quad 4 machine that i just built and im seeing that alot dudes are using ubuntu 7.10 for the q4, seems that they are getting it to work.

I mainly use linux for gaming and running my game servers (COD4)
    http://www.happycarnage.com

my specs are:
    extreme striker
    q6600(overclocked to the most stable point)
    x2 8800 gt(i know im gonna have fun getting to sli to work)
    creative xfi fatal1ty
    extremely air cooled
    4 250 hdd wd raptors raid 0
    bunch of pretty blue light thingy's
    1000 watt ps
    sata lightscribe bluray
    memorex dvd burner
    1 250 raptor and 400 maxtor setup as a raid 0
    and a 1/2 pack of camel lights later and !tada!
    It would be best to look at linuxquestions.org, not an Ubuntu forum but here I go.

http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=...Wireless_Cards
    This has helped some people and to quote someone else (if you continue to have problems) "You can also set WEP keys with iwconfig:

iwconfig ra0 key WEPHexKeyHere

Check out man iwconfig for more options around setting a WEP key with iwconfig. "

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm also attending ITT Tech in Tulsa. First Quarter CNS to start out, then I'm planning to go onto the CSS for the Bachelours Digree.

I switched to Hardy Heron recently, and overwrote the recovery partition for windowsXP since I have the discs burned and on stand by, in case I give up and go back... but that is not likely. It's rolling along pretty nice, considering I have not that much technical experience. I feel like I don't know anything, but I want to learn.

I bought an ipod and pretty much the first thing I put on it was a few linux podcasts, aside from my music. I've listened to the linux stuff more than my music on it since I got the ipod.

Totally glad to hear that when I get to that part of my classes on linux that it will be (hopefully) all sorted out.

I tried out (one of) the last versions of Ubuntu, but wasn't ready I guess. I'm getting ready to try out some other distributions.

Glad to see that you're all here, too.
    Last edited by ogredeschnique; July 4th, 2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: additions. so sad.

Beans

Hi Ogre.* - nice to hear from you!

I upgraded to 8.04.1 today - seems great so far.

-james.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hello All,

I am getting ready to move to Muskogee since I will be working for EagleMed as a Flight Medic in Tahlequah. I have played with Ubuntu for a few months now. Been playing with computers since the old Timex Sinclair 1000 in 1982.

Would like th join the area Ubuntu users. Will keep my eye open to when and where your next meeting will be at. Thanks.....

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast