Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Belkin USB Wireless Stick F5D7051

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Belkin USB Wireless Stick F5D7051

Psultan: one more question: could you please post a link to the Windows driver that you are trying to use with ndiswrapper for this device, or upload it to the forums? The ndiswrapper database says that you need to copy some extra files manually in order to get the Windows driver working with your card--this is probably why you get the 'invalid driver' message now. If I get access to the Windows driver, I'll try to tell you which extra steps you need to run to get things working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by pytheas22 View Post
    Psultan: one more question: could you please post a link to the Windows driver that you are trying to use with ndiswrapper for this device, or upload it to the forums? The ndiswrapper database says that you need to copy some extra files manually in order to get the Windows driver working with your card--this is probably why you get the 'invalid driver' message now. If I get access to the Windows driver, I'll try to tell you which extra steps you need to run to get things working.
    Pytheas22: I went to this site:
    http://www.belkin.com/support/articl...=6070&scid=221

and downloaded this:
    http://www.belkin.com/support/articl...fn=f5d7051.exe

I then saved it to a blank DVD with stuff I wanted to take from Vista like pics music etc. then used ndisgtk to install the .INF file.

Hope this help!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that link. I think these are the commands you should run to get the driver installed properly via ndiswrapper:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -r bcmrndis
    wget http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=f5d7051&aid=6070&scid=221&fid=2411&fn=f5d7051.exe
    unzip f5d7051.exe
    sudo ndiswrapper -i BCMRNDIS.INF
    sudo cp RNDISMPK.SYS /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmrndis/rndismpk.sys
    sudo cp USB8023K.SYS /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmrndis/usb8023k.sys
    echo ndiswrapper | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    The trick is apparently to copy those two .sys files manually into /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmrndis. I did this on my machine (even though I don't actually have the same wireless card), and it changed the 'invalid driver!' message to 'driver installed'.

After this, reboot. If the device still doesn't work, please post the output of:
    Code:
    ls /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmrndis
    ndiswrapper -l
    dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    lshw -C Network
    sudo iwlist scan

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that link. I think these are the commands you should run to get the driver installed properly via ndiswrapper:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -r bcmrndis
    wget http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=f5d7051&aid=6070&scid=221&fid=2411&fn=f5d7051.exe
    unzip f5d7051.exe
    The trick is apparently to copy those two .sys files manually into /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmrndis. I did this on my machine (even though I don't actually have the same wireless card), and it changed the 'invalid driver!' message to 'driver installed'.

After this, reboot. If the device still doesn't work, please post the output of:
    Code:
    ls /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmrndis
    ndiswrapper -l
    dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    lshw -C Network
    sudo iwlist scan
    Hello Pytheas22,

I briefly tried the first few of your command lines and saw that the wget command not working? could this be because Ubuntu can't connect to the internet? What if I just copied the contents of the driver onto the ubuntu desktop? what commands can I use to install the driver without internet connectivity?

Beans
    Distro

I briefly tried the first few of your command lines and saw that the wget command not working? could this be because Ubuntu can't connect to the internet? What if I just copied the contents of the driver onto the ubuntu desktop? what commands can I use to install the driver without internet connectivity?
    Yes, the problem is that you need an Internet connection for the wget command to work--my apologies; I didn't realize you had no connection at all. If you have an ethernet connection available that you can plug into temporarily, that would be the easiest way to run those commands. If not, however, it should work for you to download the f5d7051.exe file and save it to your desktop on Ubuntu, then run these commands to extract the necessary files:

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    unzip f5d7051.exe

Beans
    Distro

Yes, the problem is that you need an Internet connection for the wget command to work--my apologies; I didn't realize you had no connection at all. If you have an ethernet connection available that you can plug into temporarily, that would be the easiest way to run those commands. If not, however, it should work for you to download the f5d7051.exe file and save it to your desktop on Ubuntu, then run these commands to extract the necessary files:

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    unzip f5d7051.exe

Outstanding! 8) Your instructions worked perfectly, straight after the reboot I got a permissions request for Keyring and it connected immediately. A Thousand Thank yous! I'm stoked!

Okay, so what can we now do about my graphics situation? I found an article that might be relevant here:
    http://www.itwriting.com/blog/1358-u...so-jaunty.html

his third bullet point and update are the relevant points.

Where to next?

Beans
    Distro

Glad to hear it connected.

As for the graphics: the first thing to do is to apply Ubuntu updates, in case that solves the problem (it probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to try). If it doesn't, please post the output of this command so I know exactly which graphics chipset you have:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -i vga
    From there, we can google around to see if a straight-forward solution comes up. The blog post you linked to might help, but it's hard to be sure until we know exactly which video card you have.

Beans
    Distro

Glad to hear it connected.

As for the graphics: the first thing to do is to apply Ubuntu updates, in case that solves the problem (it probably won't, but it doesn't hurt to try). If it doesn't, please post the output of this command so I know exactly which graphics chipset you have:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep -i vga
    From there, we can google around to see if a straight-forward solution comes up. The blog post you linked to might help, but it's hard to be sure until we know exactly which video card you have.
    How do I get updates for Ubuntu Jaunty? Do I have to select them or is there an archive I can download from? I'm slightly out of my depth here.

Here is the output anyway:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2772] (rev 02)

I'll get googling too and see what's about. Thanks again
    Last edited by Psultan; May 6th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro

After a few minutes logged into your desktop, the Update Manager icon should appear in the system tray in the upper-right corner of your screen. You can left-click on it to open the utility to apply updates. You can also update manually from the command line by typing:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    I'll do some googling and get back with instructions that will hopefully fix the graphics situation.

Beans
    Distro

I read a couple bug reports (like this one) that suggest that the issue may indeed have been fixed by Ubuntu updates. So apply the updates, then run this command to tell your computer to use normal graphics mode:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Then reboot and see if you can log in normal. If you can, go to System>Preferences>Appearance and try to enable desktop effects.

If this still doesn't work, I think the next thing to try is the fix described on this wiki page.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast