Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You can help out Coreboot!

Beans

Smile You can help out Coreboot!

Coreboot is a free software project aimed at replacing the standard BIOS firmware found in most computers with a lightweight firmware system designed to perform only the minimum of tasks necessary to load and run a modern 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

You can help out the Coreboot project, it doesn't require any programming skills.
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install subversion
    $ svn co svn://coreboot.org/repos/trunk/coreboot-v2
    Code:
    $ cd coreboot-v2/util/getpir/
    $ make
    $ sudo ./getpir
    getpir will generate a file called "irq_tables.c", you should send this to Coreboot.
    Code:
    $ cd coreboot-v2/util/mptable/
    $ make
    $ sudo ./mptable > mptable.txt
    This generate a file called "mptable.txt", you should send this to Coreboot.
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install superiotool
    $ sudo superiotool -dV > superiotool-dV.txt
    $ sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt
    $ sudo dmidecode --dump > dmidecode-dump.txt
    $ lspci -tvnn > lspci-tvnn.txt
    $ sudo lshw > lshw.txt
    Now send an email to the Coreboot project mailing list.
    http://www.coreboot.org/mailman/listinfo/coreboot
    E-mail address: coreboot at coreboot dot org
    Attach the files irq_tables.c, mptable.txt, superiotool-dV.txt, dmidecode.txt, dmidecode-dump.txt, lspci-tvnn.txt, and lshw.txt.

Beans

Re: You can help out Coreboot!

Anyone helped out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I may be willing to help out, but an awful lot more information might be helpful.

Just for starters...

What EXACTLY do those commands and programs do?
    Last edited by VeeDubb; October 29th, 2008 at 05:15 AM.

Moved to community cafe.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

While I'm all for coreboot, I'd also like to know exactly what these scripts do.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

$ sudo apt-get install subversion
    This command installs subversion (svn), a tool that is needed to download the latest development version of Coreboot from svn source code repository.

$ svn co svn://coreboot.org/repos/trunk/coreboot-v2
    This command makes just recently installed subversion (svn) connect to subversion repository at coreboot.org, and download the latest coreboot-v2.

$ cd coreboot-v2/util/getpir/
    This changes directory into the coreboot that you just downloaded.

$ make
    This compiles the 'getpir' utility that come with coreboot from source code into a executable binary that you can run.

$ sudo ./getpir
    This runs the 'getpir' utility that you just compiled.
    This generates a file called 'irq_tables.c' in the same directory, which is a text file with C source code.
    It needs to be run with the 'sudo' command which runs it with administrator privileges, because it needs to access the memory to grab the IRQ routing tables.
    This is motherboard hardware information.

$ cd coreboot-v2/util/mptable/
    This changes the directory into 'mptable' utility of the coreboot.

$ make
    This compiles the 'mptable' utility that come with coreboot from source code into a executable binary that you can run.

$ sudo ./mptable > mptable.txt
    This runs the 'mptable' utility and saves the output it prints out into a file called mptable.txt
    Sudo makes it run with administrator privileges, which it needs in order to access the memory and get the MP table from the motherboard. It is just motherboard hardware information.

$ sudo apt-get install superiotool
    This command installs the 'superiotool' from the Ubuntu repository. It is a tool that figures out what kind of Super I/O chip you have no your motherboard. Brand and model.

$ sudo superiotool -dV > superiotool-dV.txt
    This runs the superiotool with administrator privileges, using the "d" and "V" parameters. The "d" parameter gets the Super I/O register contents, and "V" makes it verbose.

$ sudo dmidecode > dmidecode.txt
    This runs the dmidecode utility with administator privileges. It fetches some DMI (Desktop Media Interface) information from the SMBIOS. It outputs it into the dmidecode.txt file.

$ sudo dmidecode --dump > dmidecode-dump.txt
    This is the same as the command above, but it dumps it into the dmidecode-dump.txt file, without first decoding it.

$ lspci -tvnn > lspci-tvnn.txt
    This runs the 'lspci' command which lists the PCI bus, and saves the output into a file called 'lspci-tvnn.txt'.

$ sudo lshw > lshw.txt
    This runs 'lshw' with administrator privileges. It lists hardware, and saves them into a file called 'lshw.txt'.
    Last edited by uid313; October 29th, 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Beans

After you're done, and have ran all the commands, and e-mailed Coreboot the files, you can remove the coreboot-v2/ directory.

You can also remove 'svn' (subversion) and 'superiotool' if you wish, since you no longer need them.
    $ sudo apt-get remove subversion
    $ sudo apt-get remove superiotool

Beans

Anyone helping out?

Were the descriptions of the commands suitable?
    Anymore questions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I intend on doing it, I just wanted to know what those programs were.
    I don't like running stuff with sudo that I don't know about.

Anyways, you'll be able to get more info from me because I have two computers (that I can use for this. I actually have 14 computers) and will be running these tests on both
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

besides for OSS purists, why would a normal user wnat to use coreboot instead of the bios included on their motherboard?

I myself am EXTREMELY skeptical. This seems like the thing that one doesn't really want to mess with, as if you do something wrong, you have yourself a nice big doorstop.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast