Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Angry at Vista...I broke my PC

Beans

So Angry at Vista...I broke my PC

After a year of deciding Vista sucks, I tried to install Ubuntu as a dual boot. I am running a Dell E520 and I immediately had parition problems because Ubuntu would not install. Well, it would seem to install, but never got an option to boot from it. I then proceeded to "tweak" my disk partitioning even though I am not sure what I did. No, nothing boots and it will says I have no operating system. I backed up everything and don't need to recover anything. I would just like to do a clean install of Ubuntu (still running Vista on a laptop) on my desktop and see if I can function in life without Microsoft's crap. I can still boot the Live CD and have tried numerous installs with different partitioning options but Ubuntu will not boot. Any help will be appreciated. Pretty ignorant relevative to what I am trying to do but I can follow directions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: So Angry at Vista...I broke my PC

I think you need to erase everything and delete all partitions in the installer, then create a new one for Ubuntu.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely not for you.

Beans

When you install Ubuntu, you choose to use the entire disk for installation? And you do not change any GRUB (bootloader) options in the Advanced section?
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

yes, chose the entire disk and didn't touch Grub settings.

Beans

ok, how do I do that?

Beans

What happens when you boot up? Do you just get a blinking cursor?
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

I get "Grub" and then nothing. No blinking cursor or anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DBA777 View Post
    After a year of deciding Vista sucks, I tried to install Ubuntu as a dual boot. I am running a Dell E520 and I immediately had parition problems because Ubuntu would not install. Well, it would seem to install, but never got an option to boot from it. I then proceeded to "tweak" my disk partitioning even though I am not sure what I did. No, nothing boots and it will says I have no operating system. I backed up everything and don't need to recover anything. I would just like to do a clean install of Ubuntu (still running Vista on a laptop) on my desktop and see if I can function in life without Microsoft's crap. I can still boot the Live CD and have tried numerous installs with different partitioning options but Ubuntu will not boot. Any help will be appreciated. Pretty ignorant relevative to what I am trying to do but I can follow directions.
    Download and burn the gparted live cd (could be on the ubuntu live cd too, not sure) and boot from it.

Format every partition, maybe even join the back together.

Then install install ubuntu.

--

Btw, this is a linux forum, not an ms-bashing forum. Your behaviour is in violation of the CoC you agreed to upon joining this forum.

Beans

ok, will try that.
    Sorry, did not mean to offend. Just wanted to give context of why I would go down a path that I am not qualified for.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DBA777 View Post
    ok, will try that.
    Sorry, did not mean to offend. Just wanted to give context of why I would go down a path that I am not qualified for.
    You didn't offend (well not me), just letting you know so you don't get any infractions.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast