Thread: [SOLVED] nvidia-settings do not save to X Config File

Beans

Arrow [SOLVED] nvidia-settings do not save to X Config File

Using the latest nvidia drivers (177.80) in Intrepid, and typing

Code:
    gksudo nvidia-settings
    then saving my settings, and clicking on Save to X Configuration File, the whole window simply closes without any sort of error dialog whatsoever. Upon reboot, my settings have been reverted (running dual monitor, so it goes back to a single monitor, with my second monitor being disabled).

Anyone else experiencing this issue? Thanks!

Occam

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: nvidia-settings do not save to X Config File

have you hit apply settings first?

did you try the built-in monitor config tool (i know the nvidia one is nice, i use it on kubuntu here)?

Beans

After backing up the xorg.conf file that you have, you might want to run

Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    first, to write a new xorg.conf in nvidia style. Then run your
    Code:
    gksudo nvidia-settings
    and see if it is any happier to adjust the settings.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had the same problem with the older (~173) drivers. I tried both sudo nvidia-settings and gksudo nvidia-settings but neither worked. I also tried resetting the xorg configuration file and then reenabling the proprietary drivers and then ran nvidia-settings but no luck. I finally went back to 8.04. I hope someone has a fix for this as I'd like to upgrade.

BTW, I can't recall if I clicked apply settings first. This isn't necessary in 8.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zarquad View Post
    have you hit apply settings first?

did you try the built-in monitor config tool (i know the nvidia one is nice, i use it on kubuntu here)?
    I did hit Apply Settings first.

I have heard about the built-in monitor config tool but haven't figured out where it is. Can you point me in the right direction? I'd love to give it a shot.

@dabl: I'll try your suggestion once I try the built-in monitor config tool. Thanks for your responses!

Occam

Beans

Talking Re: nvidia-settings do not save to X Config File

Good news!

I found the monitor screen resolution tool, but it only found one giant monitor, not two. And it was seen as "Unknown." So I decided to try out dabl's advice, and that did the trick! I can now logout and log back in with my nvidia settings.

Thanks so much!

Occam

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Occam View Post
    Good news!

I found the monitor screen resolution tool, but it only found one giant monitor, not two. And it was seen as "Unknown." So I decided to try out dabl's advice, and that did the trick! I can now logout and log back in with my nvidia settings.

Thanks so much!

Occam

OK, now please put a "SOLVED" in front of your original title, so other folks can get the benefit. Thanks!
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

This technique solves the problem of not being able to save my xorg.conf file but x won't properly restart for me once I do get it to save.

Does anyone know if there are specific settings I just can't use (dual x for instance?)

Beans

I did a system update last night and today it worked out. thanks again dabl.