Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gufw firewall questions , How do i get it to auto-start with entering a password..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Gufw firewall questions , How do i get it to auto-start with entering a password.

You could give either your user or all admin users the ability to only run gufw as root without a password. As has been stated though, there is no need to run gufw on start-up, the firewall is already active without doing this.

If you want to allow all users in the admin group to run gufw with no password. Edit your sudoers file save then test it out. Let me state this is somewhat a security risk as any account in an admin group can now edit firewall rules without needing a password. (So in theory malware if installed could change firewall rules via gufw on a whim, no need for a password.)

Code:
    sudo visudo
    # now goto the end of the file and add a line like this, you'll have to adjust for the real
    # path  to gufw I don't know where the binary is kept
    %admin root=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/gufw
    edit: As bodhi.zazen stated before I posted this, read up on sudoers so you at least understand what is being done by that line.
    Last edited by jerome1232; November 10th, 2008 at 05:10 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Re: Gufw firewall questions , How do i get it to auto-start with entering a password.

Thanks guys. The fact that iptables are still active is actually fine for now then. I think I'll wait for the dev's to change the way gufw works instead of messing with permissions. rather keep it more locked down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12