Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gufw firewall questions , How do i get it to auto-start with entering a password..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Gufw firewall questions , How do i get it to auto-start with entering a password..?

i installed the Gufw firewall , i can figure out how to get it to auto-start with system startup but it asks for a password ==>
    "Please enter password to perform Administrative task"
    ...,and this happens AFTER i have entered my password to login...

See here's the thing , I don't want to have to enter the same password one after another..., so my question is , how do i configure ubuntu (or Gufw) to start this firewall without having to enter my password....?

Question number two ............... How do i configure Gufw to "Stealth" all of my ports....? so that i can pass an online firewall test....???

.........reminder.......... I DON'T CARE IF THE PORTS IN UBUNTU DON'T HAVE TO BE STEALTHED , I WANT THEM TO BE.... freedom as in "freedom of choice"

Thanks...
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    Registered Linux user #419240.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Gufw firewall questions , How do i get it to auto-start with entering a password.

bump
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect." -- Linus Torvalds.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Gufw firewall questions , How do i get it to auto-start with entering a password.

ufw comes installed on ubuntu now. Just run
    Code:
    sudo ufw enable
    and it will enable automatically during future startups. To open or close ports:
    sudo ufw allow 22 (for example) ports are closed by default. See man ufw.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spiderbatdad View Post
    sudo ufw allow 22 (for example) ports are closed by default. See man ufw.
    no., they re not closed , they are in fact all open - because i fail the tests...
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Firstly I'm going to recomend some reading
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IptablesHowTo

You don't need ufw to start at system boot.

Question are you behind a router?

If you do the following (check out man ufw for more info) it will block all ports, unless you installed programs that listen for connections Ubuntu has zero services that listen to the outside world

This tells ufw to modify iptables (the real firewall) and reject all incoming packets.
    Code:
    sudo -i
    ufw logging on
    ufw default deny
    ufw enable
    exit
    The better solution is to simply turn off whatever program it is that's listening for connections.

To view the status of listening programs try this; it'll list all programs listening for connections, by default there should only be cups listening on localhost. If you find more than cups listening and your not sure what the program is post the output here maybe we can help you nail down what's listening for connections.
    Code:
    sudo netstat -plt
    Another good method to check out your firewall is to run this command. nmap isn't installed by default so you will need to install it first.
    Code:
    nmap -A localhost
    or from another computer
    Code:
    nmap -A ipaddresshere
    Last edited by jerome1232; October 28th, 2008 at 06:52 AM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jason.b.c View Post
    no., they re not closed , they are in fact all open - because i fail the tests...
    Those tests are not always that accurate in the first place. Besides, if you're behind a router, it scans your router instead of your computer.

If you type
    Code:
    sudo ufw default deny
    sudo ufw enable
    everything is blocked.

If you don't have any services running (ssh server, apache, mysql, ...) you don't need a firewall in the first place as there's nothing that listens to incoming connections. And when you have one of those services, you typically want it available instead of blocking it with a firewall. Which brings us to the question why you want to change the firewall rules?
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans

could someone please answer the one original question:

how do you stop gufw from asking for the sudo password when it's set to start at login.

Driving me friggin NUTS!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi!
    If you like quit the password you can read this post and this.

This is very dangerous, I don't recommended you it.
    Remember, when you restart, the firewall is active because the rules exists in the iptables You don't need open Gufw for Firewall is actived.

With "Deny all incoming traffic" close all ports (you can open some ports with add rules Remember: Only INCOMING Traffic.

Best regards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psypher View Post

how do you stop gufw from asking for the sudo password when it's set to start at login.

oh you too huh , so i'm not crazy after all...
    Ubuntu 10.10 user..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by psypher View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jason.b.c View Post
    oh you too huh , so i'm not crazy after all...

Well, Ubuntu is not windows, so there are a few things you need to know. Your firewall is iptables.

UFW/GUFW are configuration tools, generally you run them once, they configure your firewall, close GUFW, and that is it. The settings remain active even if you reboot.

So, what people are saying, there is no need (and you probably should not) to run GUFW at startup / login.

With that said, if you want to run an application as root w/o a password you need to edit /etc/sudoers.

This is normally done with visudo.

Add in the command with NOPASSWD

You had better read up on how to do this :

http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/man/sudoers.html

See the bottom of the page. If you are editing sudoers we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to read and understand what you are doing rather then cut and paste a solution.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast