Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Fully Uninstall the ubuntu-desktop meta-package

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Fully Uninstall the ubuntu-desktop meta-package

Quote Originally Posted by kairu0
    This was a really good idea for a HOWTO, aysiu!

How many readers have found it helpful?
    I don't know. Actually, I usually point people to my "uninstall kubuntu" thread because most Ubuntu users are using Gnome and want to try KDE, not vice versa.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks, but as I believe I already told you, I already installed everything that went missing. It only took a few minutes. My computer works perfectly and KDE is gone. I don't need to use another tutorial.

I *did* read the whole thread and I *was* aware that the command I ran was not part of the howto. And I know I should have been more careful. I'm just telling you how it went so that anyone else reading knows and won't do the same.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool.

Beans

This also resoled the issue described here. It happened to me.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...sg9044#msg9044

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by desiboston
    This also resoled the issue described here. It happened to me.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...sg9044#msg9044
    If you follow that link to this page:
    http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Uninstall_kubuntu-desktop

...you'll see it's just the same tutorial mirrored on another website.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

It didn't work for me. I copy-pasted the command and apt-get wanted to remove a lot of my KDE packages too!! Any idea why? By the way, I installed Ubuntu 5.10 first and later installed the kubuntu-desktop package. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
    This is what I got:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
    adept akode akregator amarok amarok-gstreamer amarok-xine apollon ark arts artsbuilder bittorrent bluez-pin bug-buddy capplets-data
    contact-lookup-applet dbus-1-utils desktop-file-utils eog esound evince evolution evolution-data-server evolution-exchange
    evolution-plugins evolution-webcal file-roller firefox firefox-gnome-support fping gaim gaim-data galternatives gcalctool gconf-editor
    gdb gdm gedit gedit-common gimp gimp-data gimp-python gksu gnome-about gnome-alsamixer gnome-app-install gnome-applets gnome-applets-data
    gnome-btdownload gnome-control-center gnome-cups-manager gnome-desktop-data gnome-doc-utils gnome-games gnome-games-data gnome-icon-theme
    gnome-keyring gnome-media gnome-menus gnome-mime-data gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-nettool gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pilot
    gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-session gnome-spell gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-tools gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes
    gnome-utils gnome-volume-manager gnome2-user-guide gnomemeeting gparted gstreamer0.8-esd gstreamer0.8-gnomevfs gthumb
    gtk2-engines-clearlooks gtk2-engines-crux gtk2-engines-gtk-qt gtk2-engines-industrial gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue gtk2-engines-mist
    gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-redmond95 gtk2-engines-smooth gtk2-engines-thinice gtkhtml3.8 gucharmap guile-1.6-libs gwc gwenview
    hal-device-manager hwdb-client k3b k3b-mp3 k3blibs kaddressbook kaffeine kaffeine-gstreamer kamera kappfinder karm katapult kate
    kaudiocreator kcontrol kcron kde-guidance kde-style-lipstik kde-systemsettings kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins
    kdebluetooth kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs kdelibs-bin kdelibs4c2 kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins
    kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-filesharing kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-kresources kdepim-wizards
    kdeprint kdesktop kdm kfind kghostview khelpcenter kicker kio-apt kio-locate klaptopdaemon klipper kmail kmenuedit kmilo kmix
    knetworkconf knotes koffice-libs konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konserve konsole kontact konversation kooka kopete korganizer
    kpdf kpf kppp krdc krfb krita kscd kscreensaver ksmserver ksnapshot ksplash ksvg ksysguard ksystemlog kubuntu-default-settings
    kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-docs kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts kuser kwalletmanager kwifimanager kwin language-selector launchpad-integration
    libaa1 libarts1c2 libbonobo2-0 libbonobo2-common libbonoboui2-0 libbonoboui2-common libcamel1.2-6 libcompfaceg1 libcroco3
    libdbus-qt-1-1c2 libdjvulibre15 libebook1.2-5 libecal1.2-3 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-1 libedataserver1.2-4 libedataserverui1.2-6
    libeel2-2 libeel2-data libegroupwise1.2-8 libesd-alsa0 libexchange-storage1.2-0 libgail-common libgail17 libgda2-3 libgda2-common
    libgimp2.0 libgksu1.2-0 libgksuui1.0-0 libglade2-0 libgle3 libglib-perl libglib2.0-data libgnome-desktop-2 libgnome-keyring0
    libgnome-menu2 libgnome-pilot2 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-canvas-perl libgnome2-common libgnome2-perl libgnome2-vfs-perl libgnomecanvas2-0
    libgnomecanvas2-common libgnomecups1.0-1 libgnomecupsui1.0-1 libgnomeprint2.2-0 libgnomeprint2.2-data libgnomeprintui2.2-0
    libgnomeprintui2.2-common libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common libgnomevfs2-0 libgnomevfs2-common libgsf-1 libgtk2-perl libgtkhtml2-0
    libgtkhtml3.8-15 libgtksourceview-common libgtksourceview1.0-0 libgtkspell0 libgtop2-5 libgucharmap4 libguile-ltdl-1 libkcal2b libkcddb1
    libkdepim1a libkipi0 libkleopatra1 libkmime2 libkonq4 libkpathsea3 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1 libkscan1 libksieve0 libktnef1
    liblaunchpad-integration0 liblircclient0 liblpint-bonobo0 libmetacity0 libnautilus-burn2 libnautilus-extension1 libnotify0 libopenal0
    libopenh323-1.15.3c2 libpanel-applet2-0 libpisync0 libpoppler0c2-glib libpt-1.8.3c2 libpt-plugins-alsa libpt-plugins-v4l
    libpt-plugins-v4l2 libqthreads-12 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common libsmpeg0c2 libsoup2.2-8 libtotem-plparser0 libvte-common libvte4
    libwmf0.2-7 libwnck-common libwnck18 libxklavier10 libxml2-utils libxres1 metacity nautilus nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-data
    nautilus-open-terminal nautilus-sendto notification-daemon openoffice.org2-evolution openoffice.org2-gnome openoffice.org2-kde
    python-glade2 python-gmenu python-gnome2 python-gnome2-extras python-gst python-gtk2 python-kde3 python-launchpad-integration python-vte
    python2.4-cairo python2.4-glade2 python2.4-gnome2 python2.4-gnome2-extras python2.4-gtk2 python2.4-kde3 rdesktop rhythmbox rss-glx
    sanekonsole serpentine shared-mime-info smeg sound-juicer ssh-askpass-gnome synaptic system-tools-backends totem totem-gstreamer tsclient
    ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-sounds update-manager update-notifier vino vnc-common whois xchat xchat-common xsane
    xsane-common xscreensaver xscreensaver-data xscreensaver-gl xsltproc xvncviewer yelp zenity
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 349 to remove and 70 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives.
    After unpacking 909MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Last edited by Tapatio; May 5th, 2006 at 03:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did it on a fresh Kubuntu install--totally fresh. I hadn't installed anything else on top of it.

By the way, I installed Ubuntu 5.10 first and later installed the kubuntu-desktop package. I don't know if this has anything to do with it.
    So, yes, I think that may have something to do with it.

What I would do is look at all the stuff it's planning to remove, copy and paste that to a Kate document and then delete from that document all the stuff you want to keep. Then paste it back in after the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove
    Or... just go ahead and remove it all--the configuration files will still be there, as will the .debs. After that, do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    and everything you need to have come back will be reinstalled.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thanks for your answer aysiu. I just did it as N8K99. I opened synaptic and removed anything that was gnome related. Well, almost everything, 'cause there were some programs I wanted to keep. Thanks anyway. Good HOWTO.

Beans

have you got a uptodate version of this how to?

thanks markp1989
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
    have you got a uptodate version of this how to?

thanks markp1989
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce
    Bookmark this psychocats site.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast