Thread: Broken ALT+TAB in HH

Beans
    Hidden!

Broken ALT+TAB in HH

Configuration = Kubuntu HH 8.04
    In keyboard shortcuts I have ALT+TAB assign to "walk through windows" action and ALT+SHIFT+TAB to "walk through windows (reverse)".
    Let's say I have 5 windows on desktop1.
    If I press only once ALT+TAB I go from current window (window1) to next window (window2). I press once more ALT+TAB : surprise - I go from window2 back to window1).
    If I do the same thing but with ALT+SHIFT+TAB I correctly go through all windows (from window5 to window4 ... down to window1).
    It seems like a bug to me. Can you confirm, please, cause I couldn't find it reported anywhere.

thanks a bunch

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Broken ALT+TAB in HH

It might seem a minor thing, but it's quite annoying once you have this.

Beans
    Hidden!

I confirm that the same thing happens in compiz, when setting up a mouse binding for the "next window" action. Thanks to anyone who can help me fix this annoying thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by realn View Post
    I confirm that the same thing happens in compiz, when setting up a mouse binding for the "next window" action. Thanks to anyone who can help me fix this annoying thing.
    My keyboard shortcuts are a big mess now. Now, this thing also started annoying me.
    Ubuntu 9.10 | Dell Studio XPS 9000 | 6GB RAM | Intel I7 2.66GHz, 8 MB FSB | ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio | Flat Panel 23" Dell SP2309W

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by realn View Post
    Let's say I have 5 windows on desktop1.
    If I press only once ALT+TAB I go from current window (window1) to next window (window2). I press once more ALT+TAB : surprise - I go from window2 back to window1).
    Think of your windows as a stack of cards, numbered 1-5.
    Pressing Alt+Tab pulls the second card from the stack and places it on top of the deck. The cards are now renumbered to reflect their current positions. When you press Alt+Tab again, you're just pulling the second card from the stack and placing it on top.
    Confused yet?
    If you want to pull the third card from the stack, press and hold Alt and press Tab twice. The holding of Tab tells the computer that you're still in the window-switcher, so it now interprets the second Tab push as an instruction to go to the next window down in the stack.

Does it make sense?
    10.04 | KDE4 with XFWM4 | Kate | CLIRC | DSReader | Tiddlywiki | Flickr

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, thanks a lot for your explanation. Well, it makes sense, except that this is not what I want. What I want is to go to the third window in the list by ALT+TAB+TAB with NO reordering of the windows, so that when I press another ALT+TAB go to the fourth window in the list.

So, here is how it's done:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=597209

Simply change in ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc

the line

AltTabStyle=KDE

into
    AltTabStyle=CDE

Apparently this can be done by unchecking the "show windows list" in windows behavior, but I find it STUPID (I apologize for my sincerity). Displaying (or not) the windows list SHOULD have nothing to do with the navigation scheme through that list.
    So, my next question, how can I have the CDE style and still having the windows list displayed?

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Hidden!

Marked as solved.