Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Zfs, btrfs, ext4

Beans

Re: Zfs, btrfs, ext4

Its called NIH or not invented here. Thats why so many user love ext filesystems even though they seem to result in the most data loss and are the biggest pains to use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Its called NIH or not invented here. Thats why so many user love ext filesystems even though they seem to result in the most data loss and are the biggest pains to use.
    What do you mean by that? The ext filesystems seem to be among the most stable and reliable filesystems out there. (At the very least, I've never had any trouble with them.)
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    What do you mean by that? The ext filesystems seem to be among the most stable and reliable filesystems out there. (At the very least, I've never had any trouble with them.)
    Must concur, I cannot speak for the enterprise environment, but for the desktop they perform well. In any case around the corner there be dragons on the way

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Regenweald View Post
    Must concur, I cannot speak for the enterprise environment, but for the desktop they perform well. In any case around the corner there be dragons on the way
    I also agree. I've never had any issues with Ext3. I've had hard resets and power failures on Ext3 and nothing was lost or damaged. I cannot say the same about other filesystems though.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Regenweald View Post
    Well not sure about performance (or performance increase pottential) but from the stability/reliability point of view, the EXT3 is ok... But it's also because it absolutely doesn't provide any advanced options, like online defragmentation, snapshots (well there are tools for snapshotting ext3, but I mean internally within the FS), RAID and multi-volume layots (there is LVM2 for the multi-volume and related and MD for RAID but hey why don't we have FS which directly internally contain this, that'd be much more reliable and efficient, once there is a reliable/stable/efficient code for it - and that's exactly what I expect BTRFS to be (or TUX or whichver "next generation" FS))...

If you take a really very old cars and motorbikes, they tend to be much more reliable && easy to fix in comparison to the nowadays overtechnisized machines, but then tell me, why no one wants to have a Citroen 2CV as a family car? I am not claiming for overcomplicated FS (hey, ever heard of GFS?), but EXT* is a stone-age, thats how it is...

Beans

I have been uisng Linux for 13 years the only times I lost data due to power outage wa either ext2 or ext3. Also its a pain in the *** if you have a server or like hard drive with that filestyem checkk can take a very long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Hopefully, with tux3 and btrfs, such woes will be of yesteryear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Whatever may happend only one thing is sure. It will never be boring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by cepal View Post
    You probably don't face hard resets on your systems or have good backups. As this system is corrupting files on hard resets, esp. if you are not careful and boot the system before first doing xfs_repair (booting from some external media)! It journals only metadata, thus the FS seems clean even when you have dirty data!
    I have been using xfs for a long time and was not aware of these facts. I have never done 'xfs_repair' manually, although I have three xfs partitions.

Earlier I had jfs and everytime I had an improper shutdown, the jfs partitions would not be mounted during the next boot. I switched to xfs and was just happy that the os boots fast after doing a hard reboot, with all it's partitions.

Thanks for the info, you have opened my eyes!
    Last edited by papangul; August 1st, 2009 at 04:19 PM.

Beans

Geez there's soo many potential contenders for the next-gen throne now:

btrfs, nilfs32, tux3...

And now that Oracle owns Sun they'll prolly GPL ZFS! I dunno where to start!

There'll have to be one 'officially sanctioned' fs eventually, I wonder which one it'll be!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast