Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid, Wifi and madwifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Intrepid, Wifi and madwifi

Hi all,
    The Intrepid Ibex is the first Ubuntu working with a "out of the box" wifi on my Macbook Pro 2G (Core 2 Duo + ATI).

But (why there is always a "but"?), this is with a recent madwifi driver, and there is being a huge bandwith issue for a long time now.

Instead of having 10 mb, my internet connection is only at 1,5 mb

I would like to know if the issue is well know by the madwifi team?

I guess I have to compile and install an old madwifi to recover a correct connection speed.
    Last edited by Romu; October 27th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.

Beans

Re: Intrepid, Wifi and madwifi

I'm just gonna ask here, so I don't have to make a new thread:

I have Intrepid installed on a Macbook2,1
    Wifi's working out-of-the-box, WPA2
    Sometimes the connection drops out and it's very unstable. If I disable teh security, it works well. People told me that I should switch to WPA1, but my router (belking54g) has only two options in the cpl: WPA1/2 & WPA2.

I could also try with WEP, but I don't know how to use it (seems complicated)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used to install an old madwifi (from january or march 2007 I guess), I recompile it and everything works pretty well with a correct speed.

I'll create a ticket on madwifi regarding this speed issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Romu View Post
    I used to install an old madwifi (from january or march 2007 I guess), I recompile it and everything works pretty well with a correct speed.

I'll create a ticket on madwifi regarding this speed issue.
    madwifi is "old code" the driver is being replaced by ath5k and ath9k. (Not that you should change if what you have is working...)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cifra View Post
    I'm just gonna ask here, so I don't have to make a new thread:

I have Intrepid installed on a Macbook2,1
    Wifi's working out-of-the-box, WPA2
    Sometimes the connection drops out and it's very unstable. If I disable teh security, it works well. People told me that I should switch to WPA1, but my router (belking54g) has only two options in the cpl: WPA1/2 & WPA2.

I could also try with WEP, but I don't know how to use it (seems complicated)
    So, any clues anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cifra View Post
    So, any clues anyone?
    There are a few discussions on this already, and I think it was determined to be a bug... Please don't hijack someone else's thread. I know you have similar hardware, but your question is really unrelated. You should also mention what driver is in use if you still need to open a new thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks cyberdork, as you can see I didn't manage to give up Ubuntu to OSX, I just can't understand the logical behind this OS.

I've checked and you're right, the "out of the box" installed wifi driver is ath9k. But, the madwifi web site lists the ath5k to best suit the AR5008 of my late 2006 MacbookPro.

With the ath9k, the connection to my hotspot is well established, but NetworkManager manager displays a connection speed at 1 Mb/s and when I run some online bandwith test, I only get 1,5 Mb/s.

I don't know how I can switch from ath9k to ath5k to make some tests with this alternative. Can you give me some help?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

With the ath9k, the connection to my hotspot is well established, but NetworkManager manager displays a connection speed at 1 Mb/s and when I run some online bandwith test, I only get 1,5 Mb/s.
    That is a bug, and the speed is simply being reported incorrectly, but you are actually getting a higher speed.

I don't know how I can switch from ath9k to ath5k to make some tests with this alternative. Can you give me some help?
    You can unload the current modules and load the one you want manually:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r ath5k ath9k
    sudo modprobe ath5k
    You can check all the modules loaded by using the command 'lsmod'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    That is a bug, and the speed is simply being reported incorrectly, but you are actually getting a higher speed.
    No, this is not just an incorrect information, when I test the connection, I can't go beyond 1,5 Mb, and I should really close to 10 Mb.

So, it may be a bug, but a real performance one. But as, this is not the correct driver, there is no need to create a ticket on madwifi, a ticket on Intrepid would be better.

Anyway, there is a huge performance issue with the madwifi for a long time now, more than one year. The performances are really very far from expactations.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    You can unload the current modules and load the one you want manually:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r ath5k ath9k
    sudo modprobe ath5k
    You can check all the modules loaded by using the command 'lsmod'
    That means ath5k is compiled and provided directly with Intrepid, I'll test this asap. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyway, there is a huge performance issue with the madwifi for a long time now, more than one year. The performances are really very far from expactations.
    Probably because they stopped work on it about that long ago

That means ath5k is compiled and provided directly with Intrepid, I'll test this asap. Thanks.
    That is correct.

How are you testing the speed? Have you tried the same test with an ethernet connection to see the difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast