Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Make USB Startup Disk - in Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Make USB Startup Disk - in Ubuntu 8.10

After copying files onto the flash disk, do you remember to sync changes ("safely remove") before unplugging it? The only way I have broken Flash storage devices is physically.
    my shiz: http://inportb.com/
    use Dropbox if you need an awesome free file hosting service; please follow my referral link for an extra 256MB of free storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think I have bricked a couple flash drives alternately formatting in Windows and gparted.
    I do not think Windows likes seeing multiple partitions on a flash drive.
    Now I use gparted only, and no hint of a problem, I've formatted one of my current flash drives over 50 times.

bpl07:
    You can add something like this at the end of your menu.lst :

# on /dev/sdb1
    title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

Oops, I think that is to boot the second hard drive, to boot the first try:

# on /dev/sda1
    title Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    root (hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

Then you have the option to leave your flash drive plugged in and boot Windows from grub.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; October 29th, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Oops

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron
    bpl07:
    You can add something like this at the end of your xorg.conf :
    I believe you meant menu.lst. One would like to think that folks in the Intrepid forum would be able to handle this kind of error, though.

Tor

Beans
    Hidden!

Glad to see that all this discussion.
    I have learned so much.

Along the same lines ...

On the "Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)" download page
    you can "Select an image"
    if you scroll all the way down,
    (after all the CD downloads)
    there are 2 images available:

Mobile USB image
    .../releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-rc-mobile-i386.img

MID USB image
    .../releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-rc-mid-lpia.img

Would either of these be a better choice to install and run off a USB Flash drive?
    (as opposed to the Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop with "Make USB Startup Disk")

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by boondocks View Post
    Glad to see that all this discussion.
    I have learned so much.

Along the same lines ...

On the "Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)" download page
    you can "Select an image"
    if you scroll all the way down,
    (after all the CD downloads)
    there are 2 images available:

Mobile USB image
    .../releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-rc-mobile-i386.img

MID USB image
    .../releases/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-rc-mid-lpia.img

Would either of these be a better choice to install and run off a USB Flash drive?
    (as opposed to the Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop with "Make USB Startup Disk")
    Not necessarily. Look at the descriptions:

Mobile USB image

The mobile USB image allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This USB image is optimized for ultra-mobile PCs with screens up to 10". You will need at least 256MB of RAM to install from this image.
    MID USB image

The MID USB image allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This USB image is optimized for handheld devices with 4-7" touchscreens and limited processing power. You will need at least 128MB of RAM to install from this image.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by inportb View Post
    After copying files onto the flash disk, do you remember to sync changes ("safely remove") before unplugging it? The only way I have broken Flash storage devices is physically.
    Yes, I always tell it to "safely remove this hardware". To be exact, I had never extensively tested either of the flash drives before formatting them (they were still brand new) so I don't know whether they were defective to begin with. Perhaps the flash drives cannot support FAT32? I tried formats in FAT32 and NTFS but neither worked, in fact it just kept getting worse with each successive format until finally it wouldn't even format. I tried both the windows formatter and the HP formatting utility.

Beans

I want to clean install Intrepid on my laptop HD from a USB stick without burning a CD. I'm currently running Hardy.

I figure my choices are:

1. Install U-C from a launchpad .deb or repo - where can I find 1.10?

2. Add Intrepid repos to Hardy and install U-C - which repo?

3. Download and mount Intrepid ISO under Hardy, add CD to sources.list, install U-C - how do you add a cd to sources?

Obvioulsy 1 or 2 would be simplest.

The stick is a 4GB Sandisk that's had only light use, possibly not currently bootable though, do I just format it with gparted or do I have to install syslinux myself?

Edit: Also, while I'm here, if I want to encrypt partitions during install, do I need the Alternate CD? Is U-C ok with the Alternate CD?

Thanks.
    Last edited by meganox; October 30th, 2008 at 01:26 PM.
    "Distros remove perfectly functioning programs and replace them with broken and insufficient replacements coupled with promises that the replacement will one day be just functional and stable as the prior working program"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meganox View Post
    I want to clean install Intrepid on my laptop HD from a USB stick without burning a CD. I'm currently running Hardy.

I figure my choices are:

1. Install U-C from a launchpad .deb or repo - where can I find 1.10?

2. Add Intrepid repos to Hardy and install U-C - which repo?

3. Download and mount Intrepid ISO under Hardy, add CD to sources.list, install U-C - how do you add a cd to sources?

Obvioulsy 1 or 2 would be simplest.

The stick is a 4GB Sandisk that's had only light use, possibly not currently bootable though, do I just format it with gparted or do I have to install syslinux myself?

Edit: Also, while I'm here, if I want to encrypt partitions during install, do I need the Alternate CD? Is U-C ok with the Alternate CD?

Thanks.
    I installed Intrepid on my eee PC last night using a USB stick I created with Unetbootin. It was very easy and I would highly recommend Unetbootin.

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question about encrypted partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

U-C is included in the 8.10 Live CD and will install 8.10 to USB right off the CD.

U-C can be downloaded for use with earlier versions here:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepi...ce/usb-creator

U-C will not make a persistent install of 8.04 due to a flaw in Casper with that version.

U-C automatically does all the formatting required to make a Live USB.

I have not had any luck modifying the system partition after a U-C install.

Unibootin makes a live USB just fine however it is not persistent.

note: U-C can be installed on a 1G flash drive which can be cloned to a 4G flash drive leaving 3G free.
    This space can be formatted to two ext3 partitions named casper-rw and home-rw.
    On boot the U-C flash drive will default to using these partitions for persistence if the casper-rw file in the U-C created system is deleted.
    (home-rw partition will work any way).

I think the flash can be formatted to FAT32/ext3/ext3 prior to using U-C, however I have not been able to get U-C to install to a 4G Kingston.
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; October 30th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    U-C is included in the 8.10 Live CD and will install 8.10 to USB right off the CD.
    No good, I can't burn a CD

U-C can be downloaded for use with earlier versions here:
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepi...ce/usb-creator
    This is the source, I was hoping for a .deb, can't find one newer than 1.7

U-C will not make a persistent install of 8.04 due to a flaw in Casper with that version.
    No problem, I don't need persistence just to install Intrepid from USB

U-C automatically does all the formatting required to make a Live USB.
    cool, I read a bug somewhere where it wasn't but I don't know how old it was

note: U-C can be installed on a 1G flash drive which can be cloned to a 4G flash drive leaving 3G free.
    This space can be formatted to two ext3 partitions named casper-rw and home-rw.
    On boot the U-C flash drive will default to using these partitions for persistence if the casper-rw file in the U-C created system is deleted.
    (home-rw partition will work any way).

I think the flash can be formatted to FAT32/ext3/ext3 prior to using U-C, however I have not been able to get U-C to install to a 4G Kingston.

Yeah, I was worried about a bug report I read that said you can't install onto anything bigger than 1GB, again I wasn't sure if it was old. This doesn't look good for me installing Intrepid today, I only have a 4GB stick and no working CD burner

Guess I will try pre-partitioning. Thanks!
    "Distros remove perfectly functioning programs and replace them with broken and insufficient replacements coupled with promises that the replacement will one day be just functional and stable as the prior working program"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast