Thread: daru2/msi laptop screen (poor connection?)

Beans

daru2/msi laptop screen (poor connection?)

Hello.

I've had my daru2 one year now and I've recently noticed that the laptop screen appears to be shorting/dimming when I open/flip up the screen beyond about 90 degrees. At certain angles I have full screen brightness. However, when I push the screen beyond roughly the 90 degree range, the brightness dims to about 50% and the screen flickers indicating there is probably a "short" in the hinge between the laptop and the screen. When the screen dims the Fn-F5 control still indicates 100% brightness but I cannot get the screen back to full brightness without changing the angle of the screen back to about 90 degrees, or less.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem which, by all indications, appears to be a hardware issue. Note: the laptop, while used extensively, has never been dropped or mishandled.

I also wonder how hard this might be to repair.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Beans

Re: daru2/msi laptop screen (poor connection?)

I am having the same exact issue! I recently had the laptop serviced for webcam and motherboard issues so I thought the loose connection was due to one of the techs ot installing it correctly.

I'm glad to see that I am not alone, though. I was going to open up the lid by unscrewing the four screws underneath the rubber dots but I haven't gotten around to that yet. Mabye Tom can provide us with some sort of diagram or walkthrough if it isn't too complex.

I can let you know that it gets worse. I can now only get some sort of backlight at about 75 degree angle or less, and all other times the backlight is turned off completley.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you remove the bottom panel, you can see where the LCD wires are routed around the hinges. I'd check that first. If something is shorted against a hinge, it might be fixable with a piece of electrical tape.

At any rate, if you're under warranty, we can bring it in for repair. If you've had it worked on, and it is malfunctioning again, I can still try to get it covered for you. If it's out of warranty, contact me via email, and I'll see what I can pull off.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Tom, this is the same issue that I was having for what it's worth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I realize this thread is old, but I'm hoping one of you is watching and can help me out...

I lost my backlight connection (again) recently on the DarU2, and it doesn't look like the problem is in the hinge area or in the connection of the body of the laptop (where I've had previous problems). Any advice on opening up the lid area to check there? I tried the 4 screws on the lid (under the rubber covers) but the bezel didn't come off and I was worried about making anything worse.