Thread: -suggestion- Video tutorials?

Beans
    Hidden!

-suggestion- Video tutorials?

Suggestion for administrators.
    I found out not long ago that there is a program to record a video of your desktop. I have not played around with it much.
    Anyway, my thought was that for the extra noo noobies, it may be very helpful to have a link on this page with torrents of howto videos to allow another level of comprehension and to boost the learning curve..
    This forum is of course extremely helpful to many (myself included), but it would provoke a new standard of interaction and ease of use. Seeing as ubuntu already comes with a torrent app, I don't see any difficulty in making this happen. Has this already been done? Is it impractical?
    Just some thoughts..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: -suggestion-

I'm not speaking on behalf of the administration, even though I'm staff.

My own two cents, though:

1. In Linux, things don't get done because they're generally good ideas. They usually get done because someone gets them done. If you want to create those video tutorials, no one's going to stop you, and many people may, in fact, find them helpful.

2. A lot of users (not everyone) will be opposed to this sort of thing, as they may see it as "too much like Windows." Linspire (the notorious Windows clone, which used to be called Lindows before Microsoft sued them) already has a lot of videos like this. After you install Linspire, the video pops up right away without warning.

3. People are working hard on documentation, and videos don't seem to be high up on the list. There's a Wiki and a Documentation Team. I just created a PDF for new users.

Bottom line: things only happen if someone makes them happen. That someone could be you.

P.S. This site is "the official Ubuntu forums," but all of the staff and admin are volunteers. We are not employees of Canonical.

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks for your thoughts..
    Interesting note about Linspire. Of course the idea would not be put forth in a mandatory way like that. It would be unbecoming of Ubuntu and linux and general I think.
    I would like to say however that I did not put the idea on deck for someone else to take care of. I was merely putting it out there to gauge a reaction, or to see if it had been thought of already, or tried tested and failed. Being as it has not been overly pursued I may just go after the idea myself as you suggest. You are right about linux, it takes individual initiate to trigger mutual progress, and the same goes for the rest of the world.
    Again thanks for responding, and generally for taking your time to help out newer users like myself.

Beans
    Hidden!

:ks
    Last edited by nalmeth; November 28th, 2005 at 05:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just popped in my opinion, but--like you--I'd be curious to see what others think. Is it a worthwhile endeavor for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I just popped in my opinion, but--like you--I'd be curious to see what others think. Is it a worthwhile endeavor for Ubuntu?
    THe best way to know this is by making some. Nothing is stopping anyone from posting their videos on a free torrent tracker. I'm sure a "what to do EXACTLY after you first boot" would be welcomed (audio/video codecs, etc).
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Hidden!

This is a project for the documentation team.

http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc