Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you have $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?

Beans
    Hidden!

If you have $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?

If you have $100 Million to donate to one open-source project, and only one, what would it be?
    (Distributions are not to be included in this question)

For me, I would give it to:
    Blender www.blender.org

What about you?
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans

Re: If you have $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?

KDE: http://www.kde.org/

if KDE is ineligible (although you've not said that) then

Amarok: http://amarok.kde.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: If you have $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?

If I had $100 million, I wouldn't donate it to any open-source project.

I'd donate it to something worthy, like feeding orphans in Africa or toward AIDS research.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd start an Open-Source fund and put half of the money in there for those projects that need donations at any time.

The other half I'd donate to a human rights organization

Okay...I might keep $1,000,000 for myself, but hey, I've gotta feed myself too (and at the moment my life is in a bit of a limbo, so that would definitely make living my life now and in the future easier)
    Last edited by lswest; October 26th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lswest View Post
    I'd start an Open-Source fund and put half of the money in there for those projects that need donations at any time.

The other half I'd donate to a human rights organization

Okay...I might keep $1,000,000 for myself, but hey
    Keeping it would be pretty cool although I'd leave it in dollars until the pound gains some strength back against the dollar

Beans
    Hidden!

Please keep the dicussion on track. We know that if you are really going to donate you'll put your money in humanitarian cuases. The question was "If you had $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?"
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans

$100 Million dollars, i guess id have to say id split it between the Ubuntu project, aMSN, Banshee and Gnome / Window Maker..

Its a very hard choice x].

~Jayson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by verb3k View Post
    Please keep the dicussion on track. We know that if you are really going to donate you'll put your money in humanitarian cuases. The question was "If you had $100 Million to donate to an open-source project, what would it be?"
    Sorry, but I honestly think I'd spread it around...but if I had to choose ONE project, I'd choose...the Linux Kernel (so we can finally get drivers made for all those devices that aren't quite there yet).

Beans

If it could only be one project, I'd choose the kernel. If it could be multiple projects here's how it'd go:

$30m - Kernel
    $30m - KDE
    $30m - GNOME
    $10m - Firefox
    Ubuntu user #22693
    --SIGNATURE SPACE FOR RENT--

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You might have had a better response by saying $1 million. $100 million is a heck of a lot for one project.

Anyway, if you wanted me to pick one project it would be a very easy decision: GIMP.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast