Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gens/GS Milestone 5

Beans

Re: Gens/GS Milestone 5

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    I get lots of buzzing noises when trying to run 32X games with the latest version. I also get 2 bands of garbled graphics on the top and bottom of the screen when using OpenGL rendering.

The last Linux version of Gens that has worked properly for me was 2.15.3 from the other thread on these forums. 2.15.5 must have introduced some OpenGL issues. The buzzing is another regression probably. I tried playing with my .asoundrc file and it doesn't help.
    Which 32X games? The PWM code was rewritten, so that might be the issue. (The only game I tested was Knuckles Chaotix.)

With regards to OpenGL, that's because the top and bottom aren't updated when GL is in use. The same thing happens with other OpenGL emulators, e.g. Mupen64. I will attempt to fix this by adding border color emulation in the next release.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Gens/GS Milestone 5

@ GerbilSoft
    its nice to the oxygen icons in gens.

i'd like throw an idea out there...
    you have done a great job on consolidating the shared code between the different OSes. i know of some projects that have further simplified their code base by switching to Qt4 because it is cross platform capable. you could share the same code and interface between windows, linux & mac using Qt4.

just a thought...
    Last edited by disturbedite; November 3rd, 2008 at 08:09 PM.
    Linux User #440528
    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64/KDE 4.8.4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by disturbedite View Post
    @ GerbilSoft
    its nice to the oxygen icons in gens.

i'd like throw an idea out there...
    you have done a great job on consolidating the shared code between the different OSes. i know of some projects that have further simplified their code base by switching to Qt4 because it is cross platform capable. you could share the same code and interface between windows, linux & mac using Qt4.

just a thought...
    I'd prefer not to use Qt4 on Windows and MacOS because that would require extra dependencies on those platforms. Qt4's core DLL is around 2 MB, so the filesize would be at least double what it is now. Also, the UI isn't really as important as the core emulation functionality, so it's not a big deal. (The largest UI component is the menu system, which is already done.)
    Last edited by GerbilSoft; November 3rd, 2008 at 08:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GerbilSoft View Post
    Which 32X games? The PWM code was rewritten, so that might be the issue. (The only game I tested was Knuckles Chaotix.)

With regards to OpenGL, that's because the top and bottom aren't updated when GL is in use. The same thing happens with other OpenGL emulators, e.g. Mupen64. I will attempt to fix this by adding border color emulation in the next release.

I'll try that Knuckles game and let you know if it still buzzes on my system. OpenGL in 2.15.3 doesn't have the bands.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by megamaced View Post

And heres an RPM for anyone who needs it:
    any chance we could get an updated rpm of version 5.1?
    Linux User #440528

Beans

please delete. accidental doube post.
    Linux User #440528

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by disturbedite View Post
    any chance we could get an updated rpm of version 5.1?
    Why don't you make one yourself? Its really easy!

Install package "alien":

Code:
    sudo aptitude install alien
    Download the Gens/GS debian package. Then run:

Code:
    sudo alien -r -k -c gens_*.deb
    Finally, chown the new RPM so it belongs to you:

Code:
    sudo chown username:groupname gens-*.rpm

Beans

Hello. I have a trouble with enabled sound in Gens 2.14.5/gs-m5. If sound enable, animation very lages, but fps about 60. System Ubuntu 8.10.
    And how I could activate netplay in Gens? In Windows netplay is available with kaillera.dll (kaillera and kaiilera-p2p). If linux's gens need kaillera.dll too, what folder I have to put it?

Beans

Can someone bug a MOTU to get those new versions into the official Ubuntu repositories? It is a shame that all emulation related packages are treated with so low priority: Nestopia for NES, SNES9x for SNES, GENS/GS for the Megadrive, E-UAE for the Amiga, dbgl for DOS...

There are wonderful, shiny versions out in the world, but just ancient, unmaintained cruft in the repositories.
    Firefox! Probably not the king of some strange benchmark but still the king of the hill. Even with a bookmarks-sidebar

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by megamaced View Post
    Why don't you make one yourself? Its really easy!
    i know how to use alien. i assumed you were compiling it from source! meh, but now that i know i'll do it myself.

btw, i'm on opensuse now so it would be: sudo zypper in alien...
    Last edited by disturbedite; June 15th, 2010 at 04:24 AM.
    Linux User #440528

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast