Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wurzzero View Post
    Hi,

I got my Intelbrás notebook i21 working in 1280x800 with this driver.

For those who did'nt find the solution yet, you can follow this steps to install the driver:

• Extract the files, then go to the folder
    • Copy sis_drv.so and sis_drv.la from usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/, replacing the existing files
    • Copy the etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, replacing the existing file (make a backup before!!!)

IMPORTANT: xorg.conf that comes with the sisdrv-ubuntu-8.04.tar.gz has the keybord configuration for Brazilian language, you can take the correct configuration for your keyboard from your backedup xorg.conf
    • Restart X

You can try this driver with other distros, but i don't know if works.

This the result of lspci:
    VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)

Tanks to GDH Press: Blog, all this information i got from them.

*** There is no 3D support ...
    Does it work with Intrepid? Or is it just for Hardy?

Beans

Does anyone have any news on this yet? I upgraded my girlfriends laptop to Intrepid Ibex without knowing this was the case and am now stuck at 800x600 on a widescreen screen.

Anyway to get it to 1280x800?

If there is no solution, is my only way to rollback the update simply to back up the home folder (not on a separate partition) and reinstall Hardy?
    Last edited by Nirevus; December 6th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.

Beans

Would like to know if anyone has had any joy installing the SiS 2D driver in intrepid?

I would love to upgrade but an currently unable to do so as the screen resolution is intolerable.

Beans

hi guys,

my solution for the resolution problem (only 800x600) on ubuntu 8.10 SiS 771/671 Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo V5535 :

add to etc/x11/xconf.org to the Section "Monitor"
    HorizSync 30-107
    VertRefresh 50-185

now it just work fine with 1280x768.

thx somnus07

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by kobotschick View Post
    hi guys,

my solution for the resolution problem (only 800x600) on ubuntu 8.10 SiS 771/671 Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo V5535 :

add to etc/x11/xconf.org to the Section "Monitor"
    HorizSync 30-107
    VertRefresh 50-185

now it just work fine with 1280x768.

thx somnus07
    Well i have that same exect laptop and also used this method to solve the resolution problem. (even got the wifi to work on )
    But for me the vesa driver isn't really enough i would like to use some of the 3D effects and some eye candy, sadly vesa can't deliver
    So if any one got some drivers / work arounds for this graphics card, please don't be shy and share.

P.S Using Ubuntu 8.10

Beans

Well i have that same exect laptop and also used this method to solve the resolution problem. (even got the wifi to work on )
    But for me the vesa driver isn't really enough i would like to use some of the 3D effects and some eye candy, sadly vesa can't deliver
    So if any one got some drivers / work arounds for this graphics card, please don't be shy and share.
    Sadly it seems that a 3D driver capable of handling compiz/eye candy is not forthcoming any time soon. Whilst it's been indicated that SiS has developed a 3D driver they have so far shown no willingness to release it to the public. The best people were able to get them to do was release the 2D driver which allows a better screen resolution (1280x800) than the VESA but without the bells and whistles.

Unfortunately it seems nobody has yet managed to get this 2D driver working in Intrepid and so, for the time being at least, you're probably stuck with vesa unless you want to downgrade to Hardy.

I've sent e-mails off to SiS begging them to release the driver but they don't even bother responding. Perhaps if more people keep doing it they'll eventually relent.....but I'm not holding my breathe.

Bizarre business strategy though...why on earth they would want to alienate customers is beyond me. It's certainly convinced me never again to buy anything containing an SiS product.

Good luck!

Beans

For convenience I have prepared a debian package with sisimedia driver patched by fedora forum's user "bahamot" to work with xserver 1.5.x.

I have made a few very minor changes so that the driver would seem more seamless, namely - buggy 2D acceleration is now disabled by default. I have also included a pciid file, so that the card is detected automatically. Just install the deb and restart your xserver.

Remember to remove any driver names and such from xorg conf manualy or by typing
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg in terminal.
    This version is for Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex. If for some reason the driver is nod detected automatically, add the line
    Code:
    Driver "sis671"
    to "Device" section of your xorg.conf

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/204636....10-1_i386.deb

Beans

This sounds phenomenal! Is anyone able to confirm if this works in Intrepid so I can start thinking about upgrading ?

Beans

All I can say is I have tested it on two laptops - one mine, the other - an unused replacement (clean install). In both cases it worked. Sadly both machines were Fujutsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile v5355, only lappies with sis cards I have handy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

bgerlich - first of all thanks for the driver, seems you making some progress where no one else does.
    Can i ask you tho, if the 2D is disabled as default because its a bit buggy, whats the advantege of using this driver vs using vesa driver ?

Sorry if this sounds silly, still new to Ubuntu/Linux

Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast