Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers

Beans

SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers

Did anyone ever get anywhere with this problem?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=615094

In hardy the best I managed to achieve was 1024x768 using the VESA driver and the result was mixed at best.

Did anyone manage to get 1200x800 in Hardy like people in the above thread appeared to do with early releases?

Frankly I just don't understand SiS's position. Their current attitude of witholding the drivers doesn't seem to be achieving anything except the alienation of Linux users. I know I will certainly never buy anything containing SiS hardware again if the situation doesn't change.

I've just upgraded to Intrepid and now I can't even get the bloody thing to go higher than 800x600 which is absolutely heartbreaking. Will soon be downgrading to Hardy again and (sadly) reverting back to Vesa 1024x768 which comes with funky horizontal bands across the screen.

The fact that I'm willing to put up with this should be testament to just how much I dread ever having to reinstall windows...

Anyone who finds a solution to this issue will have my eternal gratitude and possibly my first-born son...

Beans

Re: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightsun View Post
    Anyone who finds a solution to this issue will have my eternal gratitude and possibly my first-born son...
    Hi...

No, eternal gratitude should go to the Lord as your first born son would be a gift from Him.

You probably already explored your options but by any chance would your SiS chipset be onboard or on a card? Or is this a notebook?

Best Regards...

Beans

Thanks for the reply,

Probably should have mentioned. It's part of a notebook computer. Advent 9315. Possibly the most linux-unfriendly computer you could possibly imagine. Wifi card is near impossible to get working, display I mentioned above, and I have to run linux in noapic and acpi=off mode just for the bloody system to boot.

Live and learn I suppose. If I ever buy another laptop, I will be going to a specific linux retailer like Dell.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightsun View Post
    If I ever buy another laptop, I will be going to a specific linux retailer like Dell.
    Or you can try System76...

http://system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

Best Regards...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,

i have just got intrepid on my fujitsu siemens laptop (with SiS components)

ssam (on here) added the following to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the monitor section:
    HorizSync 30-107
    VertRefresh 50-185

i think these are some generic ranges, you might want to check which your monitor uses.

Then I managed to get the ol' 1280 x 768. I am still looking for more complete solutions - but not sure how successful I will be.

Hope this helps,
    Somnus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Good to find a nice fresh SiS thread, hopefully this might be the thread to see an SiS graphics card fully working under Linux.

I've also got a laptop full of hardware that has no or little Linux support including the SiS 771/671 chipset.

I naively thought that if I upgraded to Intrepid rather than doing a fresh install I wouldn't have to struggle through all these hardware issues again.

I haven't really started trying to fix mine yet but when I do I'll post any progress here.

...Also I'm with you on avoiding any SiS hardware in the future. They've done nothing but annoy and frustrate me for the past year.
    Last edited by SammyBoy247; October 31st, 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It doesn't work in Intrepid No vesa, no sis ... Anyone can help ? Please keep looking.
    I have tried drivers from these sites:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...stems&lang=eng

http://barroslee.blogspot.com/2007/1...3d-driver.html

Beans

I too am disgusted by SiS's refusal to support Linux. I have an SiS 830 board in my computer, with onboard video. I bought it a couple of years ago when I was a MEPIS user, and it worked just fine without issue. I later switched to PCLinuxOS 2007 and was happy with it too until KDE decided to switch to version 4, which drove me to GNOME and Ubuntu.

At the time I switched to Ubuntu, Ubuntu was, of course, on version 7.10. But when Hardy Heron came out, the best I could muster on screen resolution was 800x600, and I wanted 1024x768 but was left with NO WAY whatsoever to set that as a screen resolution. I ultimately gave up on it and went back to 7.10, which is what I still have today.

However, for Christmas, I'm planning to give my wife the info about some new hardware I'm wanting -- preferably from a Linux-friendly manufacturer! Not to mention I bought an NVidia card here while back only to find it won't fit in my current board! Hopefully come Christmas I'll be able to solve all that, and if not, no problem -- my birthday is only four days after Christmas (even though I'll be 41, my wife still insists that I should receive something for my birthday), where I can take matters into my own hands and buy the hopefully better hardware myself.

Fred in St. Louis, MO USA
    Have you heard that Microsoft bought Hoover Vacuum? Now they finally have a product that doesn't suck!

Beans

hi all,

Im having the same problem here.

I am trying to run graphics with SIS 771/671 chipset and get no better results than 800x600 whatever driver (vesa or sis) i try.

If anyone has a better resolution up running with SIS 771/671 on Ubuntu 8.10. Intrepid Ibex, a little HowTo would really be fine!

thx and greets,

Paul

Beans

Same here. SiS is a piece of junk. Its inbuilt into my Acer Travelmate 2310 notebook. Comipiz and 3D never works and now my screen goes blank when I start my computer. When I add vesa to xorg.conf, the max res I get is 800x600.

Never again another bloody SiS product. Piece of garbage is blacklisted by me until they start Linux support.

Harry

Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast