Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers

Beans

Re: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers!?!?

Hello, I have also tried A J Oliveira's drivers and the instructions mentioned on post #371 of this discussion.

But when when I arrived to the point:
    “and restart gdm by typing; sudo service gdm restart” my monitor becomes black and says something like “Frequencies not supported”.

Then I type: Crtl+Alt+F1 and I try to continue with the instructions, but when I reboot my screen stays black with the message “Frequencies not supported”….

I have re-installed Ubuntu 10.04 and followed the instructions with similar results, as this time it appears a window that says something like "ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode"...

I have a [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA card integrated in an Asus P5SD2-VM Motherboard.

Now I have re-installed Ubuntu 10.4 (again).

Any idea? Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@xavierescola

Open up a terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo bash
    (enter your password and press enter)
    then type;
    Code:
    echo blacklist vga16fb > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-vga16fb.conf
    Press enter, and this time type;
    Code:
    update-initramfs -u
    Then reboot
    Code:
    reboot
    After rebooting the tty (ctrl+alt+f1, or on gdm stop) will work.. so then your able to follow the howto from the beginning and see what you are doing..

Note: Don't do this part again
    When your thread it solved: go to thread tools > Mark this thread as solved
    for SIS 771/671 use xcompmgr to have transparent terminals. just load it at startup.

And then they asked: what's a pbkac error?

Beans

I did what mhgsys says, but the problem remains.

Unfortunately, when I arrive at the point:
    “and restart gdm by typing: sudo service gdm restart”
    appears the same window again saying "ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode".

I'll install ubuntu 10.04 again...

Thanks anyway,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

erh., re-installing the OS just for videodrivers seems not the right way to go...

I noticed some needed to change the driver to sis671 manually.

Please post content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

EDIT: BTW!. I just reminded, in case of this error...
    No valid modes found - check VertRefresh/HorizSync
    you'll need a modified driver
    read about it all here; http://tpurch-blog.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by mhgsys; November 7th, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
    When your thread it solved: go to thread tools > Mark this thread as solved
    for SIS 771/671 use xcompmgr to have transparent terminals. just load it at startup.

And then they asked: what's a pbkac error?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

when u boot,or shutdown u see some bad collors on the laptop's monitor?like some stripes,with all collors.i will post a picture,but will not represent the exctly way linux do it.
    http://www.hardwoodbrokers.com/image..._Brown_Oak.jpg
    something like this.i think that might be happening to me in particulary,but not sure.i use sis m672..
    what driver/settings should i use for not getting those strips with ub 10.04?

Beans

when u boot,or shutdown u see some bad collors on the laptop's monitor?like some stripes,with all collors.i will post a picture,but will not represent the exctly way linux do it.
    http://www.hardwoodbrokers.com/image..._Brown_Oak.jpg
    something like this.i think that might be happening to me in particulary,but not sure.i use sis m672..
    You're not alone, I've got the same kind of strips in all ubuntu version since 9.04 (or 9.10 perhaps). Personnaly, since the A J Oliveira's drivers works quite fine after startup, I gave up to suppress those strips. But if you find something please tell us !

Beans
    Distro

sure thing i will. meantime,how ubuntu does work for you guys without 3d,and with that driver and patch? i mean,i think system is a bit slow..(i have another pc,with lower specs,and work faster than my laptop...with exactly same ubuntu version),that boterhs me...
    Another question: there is ANY version of any distribution of linux,who works smoothly(than ubuntu) with sis mirage m672?(with whatever driver/parch/xorg.conf installed)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mhgsys View Post
    erh., re-installing the OS just for videodrivers seems not the right way to go...

I noticed some needed to change the driver to sis671 manually.

Please post content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

EDIT: BTW!. I just reminded, in case of this error...

you'll need a modified driver
    read about it all here; http://tpurch-blog.blogspot.com/
    mhgsys, my archive /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems to be empty, I guess because I have just re-installed Ubuntu 10.04.

I have downloaded and copied the modified drivers mentioned on the link to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers

In the above link, is said to modify/create new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file but I don't know how to do that (although I have a sample available of xorg.conf from that web)

Maybe, should I follow again the instructions mentioned on post #371 of this discussion from that point?

Beans
    Distro

I have re-checked my code, and all of the so-called "Clevo mods" (because those were suggested (but not to me) by Clevo, the manufacturer of my laptop) are applied, so the modified code to recognize 1360H is there. In fact I came back to the code I think I used for 8.10 and did all the necessary modifications so that it compiled. My hardware is 1280x800 and works pristine, so I can't test at 1360/1366. There are a couple of provisions in my page so as to extend horizontal and vertical frequency ranges, I have tried it with Intel boards, and it has worked. So, if you are working 1280x800, use my drivers, those should work. But, again, do not forget xorg.conf, or you may find yourself like in #761.
    All the best

Antonio

Beans
    Distro

so,how to do the best settings for 672 sis card to work better?
    (btw ub 12.04 would have support for it?)

Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast