Page 63 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers

Beans

Re: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Elzigzag View Post
    Anyway I've given Mandriva a try, but it's definitely not as user-friendly as Ubuntu, at least not for noobs... But I was wondering (because all this stuff is a mystery to me)
    This view certainly may vary from user to user, otherwise there won't be that much distributions on the market.
    I was running Opensuse (when it still was called SuSe) and Ubuntu for some years, tested some other for a few days and finally stayed with Mandriva.
    Mandriva can't be as bad as it is often said, otherwise Ubuntu wouldn't have adopted the Mandriva Control Center, now known as Ubuntu Control Center (http://www.tectonic.co.za/2010/05/ma...re-for-ubuntu/)

The notebook I'm writing this from freezes during installation with every distribution - except Mandriva. The SiS chipset needs a lot of fiddling on every distribution - except Mandriva. On my PC I've set up a raid0 on a nforce 4 chipset and guess what: Mandriva is the only distribution that works on that raid0 out of the box!

Don't get me wrong: I'm not against Ubuntu, I'm pro every other operating system that is based on Linux, but for me I have found another OS that matches my needs better.

How is it possible for Mandriva to succeed... while Ubuntu doesn't?
    I don't know. Ubuntu has lots of money, lots of programmers and lots of users. So I really don't know...

=> Mandriva provides nice working 2D video driver for SiS... it's not 3D! So, no Compiz, no so eye candy!)
    As long as SiS doesn't provide a 3D driver for Linux, you will not see usable 3D acceleration on any distribution.
    For the eye candies: It would be nice to have 3D, but from what I've seen on Win7 with SiS, this chipset is running at it's limits with Windows Aero enabled. Don't expect too much from that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

An stupid question of someone which doesnt use english as his native language: What do you mean with "out of the box"? Thanks.

Beans

No native english here,too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_box

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Roehrich View Post
    Well, I'm just wondering why Barros Lee offers a 2D SiS driver for 10.04 on his blog (http://barroslee.blogspot.com/search/label/sis671), gives instructions on how to set up 1366*768 in xorg.conf and no one gives that a try...?
    Am I missing something at this point?
    Well... i was use his advice before & it's not that simple to make xorg.conf work well with my Resolution

Quote Originally Posted by Roehrich View Post
    I really don't want to promote another linux distribution in the Ubuntu forum but for SiS chipsets I have to claim that Mandriva (and eventually PCLinuxOS (Mandriva fork)) is THE distribution to use. SiS @ 1280*800 (2D of course) is supported by Mandriva out of the box since almost 2 years and I would even consider a 1366*768 support with one added line to xorg.conf as possible. I have no 1366 panel, so I can't test.
    I have no idea why Ubuntu can not offer the same support for SiS graphics.

So tell your friend to download a Mandriva 2010.1 One live CD and see if it works out of the box on his machine.
    Actually, i try it already before i use ubuntu. But when do installation it's got crash and screen goes blurry and then installation failed. Same also like PC Linux OS 2010 ( do installation but only can got 8bpp in installation progress so i stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by acero View Post
    Not for all, but many people with a sis671 chipset install Mandriva with ANY troubles at all after trying with Ubuntu and getting a flashing screen.

saludo argentino desde Tandil =)
    Agree
    My Blog,

Life is hard already, don't make it more complicated

Beans

Hi

I have installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my Fujitsu Siemens netbook and, of course, i had the screen problems, which I solved following the instructions on the mhgsys tutorial.

But then, I reinstalled W7 and I can't boot Ubuntu becuase the dual boot menu doens't even show up.
    I have searched for help and I read that I can restore the grub files by booting Ubuntu from the installation cd.
    The problem is: when I try to boot from the cd, the shaking screen error comes back!!!
    I can't see anything and, even following mhgsys instructions, I can't solve anything...

Help me, please!..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@Royk14

The flickering screen when booting the live cd is plymouth... meaning.. you'll have to wait +- 30/90 seconds for the desktop to show up.

You can use your terminals after that to restore grub, but won't be able to use tty's (ctrl+alt+f1,f2, etc) because the vga16fb module can't be blacklisted live since you'll loose that config after reboot.

Anyway; Ubuntu live cd will work right after plymouth is finished and gdm starts

Good luck restoring your grub, I guess it won't be any problem for you reinstalling your grub since there's much info on it on the web.

In case you need help with that; read
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-res...g-windows.html
    Last edited by mhgsys; October 23rd, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
    When your thread it solved: go to thread tools > Mark this thread as solved
    for SIS 771/671 use xcompmgr to have transparent terminals. just load it at startup.

And then they asked: what's a pbkac error?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Hello

Upon a discussion with Martin Lee (hellnest, thanks for invaluable cooperation) and a few subsequent tests both on a 1366x768 and again on 1280x800 I modified the drivers for Lucid and Maverick that I have here

The 64-bit drivers were tested by me on Lucid/Maverick on a 1280x800 display and are identical to the ones before, but the new ones may benefit 1366x768 users, but may need modifications to the xorg.conf I published, namely:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    DefaultFbBpp 32

SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 1360 768
    Modes "1360x768" "1024x768"

Option "Pixmap" "32"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Updated bug #301958 accordingly

To be continued...
    All the best

Antonio

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: SiS 771/671 Mirage 3 Video Drivers!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ajoliveira View Post
    Hello

Upon a discussion with Martin Lee (hellnest, thanks for invaluable cooperation) and a few subsequent tests both on a 1366x768 and again on 1280x800 I modified the drivers for Lucid and Maverick that I have here

The 64-bit drivers were tested by me on Lucid/Maverick on a 1280x800 display and are identical to the ones before, but the new ones may benefit 1366x768 users, but may need modifications to the xorg.conf I published, namely:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Card0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    DefaultFbBpp 32

SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 1360 768
    Modes "1360x768" "1024x768"

Option "Pixmap" "32"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Updated bug #301958 accordingly

To be continued...
    Hopes that it can solve all the SIS Problems for a moment ^^

Thanks once again to you
    My Blog,

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajoliveira View Post
    Can you upload 10.10 ready source code so I can compile them on my asus k50c? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dekoderek View Post
    Can you upload 10.10 ready source code so I can compile them on my asus k50c? Thanks!
    I guess you don't have to recompile it if you want to use it on Debian / Ubuntu. Just download and put the xorg.conf.

Anyway can teach me how to recompile?
    My Blog,

Page 63 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast