Thread: Using FTP to move folders and contents

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Using FTP to move folders and contents

How can you use ftp in the command line to move folders and their contents, ie recursively.

When I run:
    sftp username@adress
    cd directory/thatIwant/
    put dir_that_I_want_to_transfer/. .
    It gives me the error:
    skipping non-regular file dir_that_I_want_to_transfer/.
    Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Using FTP to move folders and contents

You could create a directory and then change to that directory and use put *

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A few methods come to mind: rsync, wget, scp, lftp, ncftp, and ftp (the last three all using put and get, as kilroy423 stated), you could tar the entire contents of each directory and send like that, etc., etc. All of those have recursive switches of some kind you can use, most in the form of dash-r. The wget utility has recursive and mirror switches that I find useful. If you like the gui then gftp is nice; if you like using a browser, then FireFTP works well
    Code:
    man rsync
    man wget
    man scp
    man lftp
    man ncftp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ciscosurfer View Post
    A few methods come to mind: rsync, wget, scp, lftp, ncftp, and ftp (the last three all using put and get, as kilroy423 stated), you could tar the entire contents of each directory and send like that, etc., etc. All of those have recursive switches of some kind you can use, most in the form of dash-r. The wget utility has recursive and mirror switches that I find useful. If you like the gui then gftp is nice; if you like using a browser, then FireFTP works well
    Code:
    man rsync
    man wget
    man scp
    man lftp
    man ncftp
    Yeah, I was using scp, but it was a very large amount of data in a large tree of folders that was behind a firewall that made it tricky to use wget and I just thought ftp would be faster. I just didn't want to manually or create a script to reproduce the tree, but just hoped there was a recursive method. Thanks for the advice though.