Thread: [SOLVED] Gedit won't save changes to the smb.conf file

Beans

[SOLVED] Gedit won't save changes to the smb.conf file

So I'm trying to share a Ntfs hard drive but if I try to right click and hit "share this drive" it gives me an error message saying I need to add the line "userhare owner only=false" to the smb.conf file. I found the file and tried to edit it but because I wasn't logged in as root it wouldn't save. So I opened up the terminal and typed:

"sudo gedit /ect/samba/smb.conf"

and tried to add the line that way, but it still won't save and gives the the error message

"could not save the file /ect/samba/smb.conf unexpected error file not found"

I feel like there must be something I'm missing here but I can't figure it out. I'm still learning the terminal so maybe that's part of it.

Basically all I want to do is mount this drive on boot up and share it over my network. Can someone break it down for me and tell me what I need to do? I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gedit won't save changes to the smb.conf file

Quote Originally Posted by FreakTimmah View Post
    So I'm trying to share a Ntfs hard drive but if I try to right click and hit "share this drive" it gives me an error message saying I need to add the line "userhare owner only=false" to the smb.conf file. I found the file and tried to edit it but because I wasn't logged in as root it wouldn't save. So I opened up the terminal and typed:

"sudo gedit /ect/samba/smb.conf"

and tried to add the line that way, but it still won't save and gives the the error message

"could not save the file /ect/samba/smb.conf unexpected error file not found"

I feel like there must be something I'm missing here but I can't figure it out. I'm still learning the terminal so maybe that's part of it.

Basically all I want to do is mount this drive on boot up and share it over my network. Can someone break it down for me and tell me what I need to do? I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!
    You have a typo in the address. It should be /etc/ ....

Also, when using graphical apps, use 'gksudo' rather than sudo:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Re: Gedit won't save changes to the smb.conf file

Thank You that worked!!!! lol of course it was that simple. I really appreciate the help!