Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Ubuntu doing?

Beans

What is Ubuntu doing?

I'm playing OpenArena, in full screen. The other day it did something weird. The screen became a window on my desktop, All I was pressing asdw keys and the mouse button. Anyone what caused this? And how to remedy the problem install of having to crtl+alt+backspace?

Also, this has happen with some other games, but I thought it was a game that didn't work. OpenArena has never given me any problems before.

-Arukas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: What is Ubuntu doing?

It may be the screensaver trying to activate. Go to system- preferences-screensaver and move the "regard the computer as idle after" button to a longer time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is a bug with Compiz, some people seem to think it's because the screensaver is trying to activate. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/157759.

You can disable Compiz to fix this, you could also try disabling the screensaver.

Beans

I've read the thread. But it does say how to fix the problem. I don't know how to disable compiz, I can disable the screensaver. How did a person goes into terminal to close a game when it didn't respond?
    Last edited by Arukas; October 26th, 2008 at 02:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You can disable compiz by going to system - preferences - appearance - desktop effects and setting them to none.

You can go to a terminal by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then use "ps -e" to get the process id of the application and "kill ID_NO" to kill the process. You could also try "killall openarena" if openarena is the name of the application. Ctrl-Alt-F7 switches back to the graphical tty.

Beans

when i press crtl+atl+f1, how do i get back to the gnome desktop?

-arukas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That's the Ctrl-Alt-F7 I mentioned.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

If you have access tp the terminal (i.e. the whole system isn't locked up) my favorite terminal command "xkill"
    then point and click the window that's not responding and it's gone.
    Dev Testing since 6.10 Edgy Eft. YES I KNOW WHAT THAT DOES!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmandt View Post
    If you have access tp the terminal (i.e. the whole system isn't locked up) my favorite terminal command "xkill"
    then point and click the window that's not responding and it's gone.
    You can also add that as a panel applet- right-click an empty space on the panel, go to "Add to panel", and look for "Force Quit" (same as xkill).

Arukas, open Synaptic and install "fusion-icon". This puts an icon in your panel that allows quick access for turning Compiz on or off if you need to to play games etc..
    Old As Dust.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Its no point, once it locks up like that even killing OpenArena doesnt help recover the mouse. You can successfully get to a tty term and back to the regular X session but the mouse will not be released. You will have to reboot, or at least that was the case every time it happened to me. Just disable the screen saver before you start playing. I play with compiz enabled all the time and it causes no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast