Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Desktop Effects after upgrade to Intrepid

Beans

No Desktop Effects after upgrade to Intrepid

Yesterday I upgraded my desktop computer from Hardy to Intrepid (Release Candidate). Everything went fine except for Desktop Effects. After upgrade + reboot, a dialog box popped up asking me if I am interested in using nVidia drivers for my graphics card. I picked the 'nVidia 96' driver and asked it to install and Activate it. It never did so. And now, when I go to Appearance > Visual Effects, it refuses to activate them. I go to Hardware Drivers and it says that no hardware on my computer needs restricted drivers. Visual Effects used to work fine in Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No Desktop Effects after upgrade to Intrepid

The release notes for 8.10 say the following:
    nVidia "legacy" video support

The 71 and 96 series of proprietary nVidia drivers, as provided by the nvidia-glx-legacy and nvidia-glx packages in Ubuntu 8.04, are not compatible with the X.Org included in Ubuntu 8.10. Users with the nVidia TNT, TNT2, TNT Ultra, GeForce, GeForce2, GeForce3, and GeForce4 chipsets are affected and will be transitioned on upgrade to the free nv driver instead. This driver does not support 3D acceleration.

Users of other nVidia chipsets that are supported by the 173 or 177 driver series will be transitioned to the nvidia-glx-173 or nvidia-glx-177 package instead. However, unlike drivers 96 and 71, drivers 173 and 177 are only compatible with CPUs that support SSE (e.g. Intel Pentium III, AMD Athlon XP or higher). Systems with older CPUs will also be transitioned to the nv driver on upgrade.
    So, if your nVidia video cards only works with the 96 driver, then it is too old for Ubuntu 8.10 to support 3D acceleration.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Thats a bummer. So, there is no way I can ever get desktop effects on my computer unless I either downgrade to Hardy or upgrade my graphics card? Or is this something that would eventually be fixed?

I hope it will be fixed. I just realized that I cannot run a program called pymol which is very important for my work In fact, I cannot even run glxgears. Is there something I am missing here?
    Last edited by kayvee; October 25th, 2008 at 09:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post

So, if your nVidia video cards only works with the 96 driver, then it is too old for Ubuntu 8.10 to support 3D acceleration.
    That's odd, because I seem to be experiencing the same problem as kayvee except I have a nvidia 6000 series on board card (6150) and an Athlon XP, so shouldn't be experiencing this problem.

See my post here in this thread. Would you have any ideas on this?

Quote Originally Posted by kayvee View Post
    Thats a bummer. So, there is no way I can ever get desktop effects on my computer unless I either downgrade to Hardy or upgrade my graphics card? Or is this something that would eventually be fixed?
    I also hope it's fixed as well....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

It will be fixed at some point
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=116555

While I can't promise that it'll be released before Ubuntu 8.10 comes out, we are working on it.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

I ran into that as well (and I can't believe we reached RC status on Intrepid with that big honkin' bug still unsquashed) but I was able to get some compositing with xcompmgr. This thread will help you get it all set up.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    Reading the whole thread, that statement is the only hope there - rest of it casts an ominous shadow over the prospects of us ever getting legacy drivers...

Is there any other way to get 3D acceleration? I ask that because I use a particular program called pymol that stopped working now. It spits out this message when I start the program from command line.
    Code:
    /var/lib/python-support/python2.5/pymol/api.py:374: Warning: 'as' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6
    freeglut (pymol): failed to open display ''
     PyMOL: abrupt program termination.
    Is this something related to nVidia drivers problem? Or can this be fixed without waiting for legacy drivers?

Beans

well I have a 6600gt and am not using legacy drivers, and have the same problem. or a very similar one. the driver appears to be activated, and lsmod | grep nv shows the nvidia module loaded. but glxinfo segfaults and xorg borks on any config except the new 7.4 generic autoconfig, which uses the nv module.

see here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=877724

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post

I have this problem as well, but it broke more than just 3D acceleration. I can't even get the remote desktop viewer to show up, keeps getting a libGL.so.1 error.
    XPS-420 Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz 6.0GB, Nvidia 512MB 8800GT, 250GB Raid 1, BluRay, 8.04 64-bit.
    Dimension 8400 Pentium 4HT 3.0GHz 3GB, Nvidia 512MB 8600GT, 80GB Raid 1, 8.10.
    Inspiron 8500 Pentium 4M 2.2GHz 1.5GB, 9.04 & XP Pro.

Beans

Is there one single place (or a few) that I can keep checking on daily basis to see if there is a solution for this problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast