Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Can't Read exFAT?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Can't Read exFAT?

Quote Originally Posted by nosoupforyou View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't become too big of an issue but it appears licensing may be a problem http://www.microsoft.com/iplicensing...sing%20Program

If we are not allowed to distribute exFAT implementations for linux, then we won't be able to transfer any type of data between our pc and digital cameras, mp3s, etc. since re-formatting will be required, but then our device will not be able to use it and any data on it would be lost if you don't have a windows system to copy it over to first.

Maybe we can convince the SD association to use an open file-system such as JFFS2, NILFS, or one of the many other options designed for SSDs instead as the new standard.
    The linux community couldn't license the NTFS file sytem, either. Eventually (and as was pointed out, very recently), someone was able to reverse-engineer a way to reliably read and write to that file system.

In the short term, we can get by with FAT32. In the long term, I'm confident that someone in the FOSS community will come up with a working solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: Ubuntu Can't Read exFAT?

This does not look good, right now I'm setting up a laptop with windows 7 on the main partition and an extra partition of fatex so that later I can install dual boot 9.10 and share one partition between the two. Windows 7 only formats to NTFS or exFAT, so I guess I should format it with NTFS instead of exFAT.

Beans

It is why I think to return to windows. It is very good to advise to use NTFS, ext3, ext4 instead, but I can not reformat the usb sticks and memory cards what my friends give me to look at the photos. So, if we will not get the support, linux will be in trouble.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Has anyone gotten anything working on this? I've been looking everywhere for something that can make Ubuntu support exFAT, the only thing I've found sofar over the entire internet is the .deb made by "smit8678" but it doesn't work either because I'm on Ubuntu 9.10 not 9.04, or I just didn't know how to use it since no directions were given on its use, I assumed it would "just work". I've got a 8GB flash drive that's formatted in exFAT and is filled to the top with a backup of all my music and pictures that I need. Once I get my stuff off I'm going back to FAT32, this is the second thing I have that doesn't support exFAT, first is my PS3.
    MB: MSI 890GXM-G65 - CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, Quad Core @ 3.4GHz - RAM: A-DATA 2GiB DDR3 1600 RAM, x2 = 4GiB @ 1333MHz - GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+, 512MiB GDDR3 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 500GiB @ 7200RPMs - 2 in RAID0

Beans

To anyone still looking for a solution to this, you can now mount exFAT drives as read/write fairly easily. Take a look at this link:

http://winipulator.blogspot.com/2010...fat-flash.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

must not give in …

too easy …

Quote Originally Posted by Tibor60 View Post
    … but I can not[sic] reformat the usb sticks and memory cards what my friends give me to look at the photos. So, if we will not get the support, linux will be in trouble.
    There's this new thing called the "Enternet" -
    apparently it's quite easy to view your friends' photos on that.

I think it even runs on Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asmoore82 View Post
    must not give in …

too easy …

There's this new thing called the "Enternet" -
    apparently it's quite easy to view your friends' photos on that.

I think it even runs on Linux.
    How is that going to solve the problem when "my friends give me" an exFAT-formatted memory card?

When a friend takes out a memory card from his/her camera and immediately gives it to someone to look at the pictures, is that person going to reject the friend's offer and say, "Find your own exFAT-supported computer OS, upload the pictures online, and then return back to me."? How can you immediately view the pictures? You can't. Your workaround takes time.

Beans

Wink Re: Ubuntu Can't Read exFAT?

exFAT FUSE Module for Ubuntu with Read/Write Support

http://code.google.com/p/exfat/

sudo apt-get install subversion
    sudo apt-get install scons
    sudo apt-get install libfuse-dev
    sudo apt-get install gcc
    cd ~
    svn co http://exfat.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ exfat-read-only
    cd exfat-read-only
    scons
    sudo scons install
    cd ..
    rm –rf exfat-read-only
    sudo mkdir [mountpoint]
    sudo mount –t exfat-fuse [device_path] [mountpoint]

TESTED AND WORKING ON UBUNTU 10.10

Beans

So I am nearly illiterate in the use of Terminal. I'm working on it. Anyhow, I followed Nabil Ali's directions. Everything seems to have worked correctly (no error messages of any kind), except for the mount. I still can't see my exFAT hard drive under "Places" in the GUI. I do see it listed as a device the Disk Utility, but it doesn't recognize the format of the partitions.

I tried to mount the device following Nabil's instructions, but nothing mounts (as far as I can tell). I don't know the command to list "mounted devices" though.

So, what is the command to list all mounted devices and is there a way to mount my exFAT external hard drive? I have it running over USB 2.0 right now, but I would also like to try to get this working over eSATA. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just type mount with no parameters and you'll get a list of all mounted filesystems.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast