I've been trying out a few of the games since I installed hardy (I'm sure some will be happy to know that I've made the total switch from Windows to Ubuntu).

I've had quite a few problems with several games. I realize many of the games I play aren't totally supported by Ubuntu but there are some that work quite well.

The problem seems to be linked to my motherboard, it's integrated controllers and the software drivers that Ubuntu uses. I have a Gigabyte Technology GA-8G1000-G, and the integrated graphics controller is an Intel Corp. 82865G (rev02).

I also have some sound problems with some games like the sound only works if I run the games from a terminal.

The games that come with Ubuntu work nicely. And the OpenGL acceleration seems to be working.

To be more specific, FlightGear is running pretty slowly(probobly the slowest), Egoboo works ok but there are some character texture problems. However Openarena runs quite well.

A list of slow games:

Flightgear
Egoboo
Glest
Balazaar
Alien Arena
Skorched 3d
Eternal Eands
Wurmonline (java based)

A list of games that run well:

Adenaxis
Armegatron
Open Arena
Space-Orbot
Supertuxcart

I searched for drivers for my graphics controller and I found that the driver currently installed on Ubuntu Hardy supports i865, and a whole bunch other. I'm guessing that includes my controller as well.

I'm wondering if there are known problems with my controller(or motherboard) or if there are ways to make it run better on Ubuntu? I suspect that the problems could also be coming from the games themselves because normally I don't have any problems running regular applications.