Thread: Segmented DVD Playback

Beans

Segmented DVD Playback

Hello, I just recently configured my system (8.04 Hardy Heron) to use VLC to play DVD upon disc insertion (changed the x-content=totem.desktop to vlc) and now dvd playback comes in short segments, usually around 12 minutes apiece. This really isn't an issue, as it doesn't affect my watching the videos, but I was wondering if there was anyway I could get VLC to play the entire part of the video, so I could track it all easily.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Segmented DVD Playback

If you look in nautilus at the contents of the DVD in the VIDEO_TS folder, you will probably find that it is divided into many .VOB files, one for each chapter. VLC does not use the menus or DVD structure that link these .VOB chapters together, it merely plays each of them sequentially. To get the entire DVD to play in one go, use a player that supports DVD menus like gxine, which you can install using synaptic or the command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gxine
    Ubuntu 9.10 on an Aspire 5103WLMi | AMD Turion TL52 X2 (1.6Ghz @ 1.81 Ghz [Overclock]) | 120 Gb PATA IDE HDD | 2048 Mb DRR2-800 RAM | ATi Mobility Radeon X1300 (fglrx) | Broadcom BCM4318MPG (ndiswrapper + bcmwl5.sys) |

Beans

That's very odd considering VLC did support menus with my DVDs and never gave me this strange segmentation before. But I will take your advice and see if gxine works.

Beans

Well it does have menu support and it doesn't read one .vob file at a time - that's great. But do you know if gxine can play as many formats as VLC? That's one of the main reasons I used it in the first place.

Also, if I wanted it to be the program that opens up upon disc insertion would I just change the x-content/video=vlc.desktop to gxine.desktop? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

gxine supports as many filetypes as you have xine codecs. A just change it to gxine.desktop if you have a shortcut to gxine on your desktop (i think).
    Ubuntu 9.10 on an Aspire 5103WLMi | AMD Turion TL52 X2 (1.6Ghz @ 1.81 Ghz [Overclock]) | 120 Gb PATA IDE HDD | 2048 Mb DRR2-800 RAM | ATi Mobility Radeon X1300 (fglrx) | Broadcom BCM4318MPG (ndiswrapper + bcmwl5.sys) |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Do you have the medibuntu repository enabled and have you installed libdvdread3?

If not, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats for references.
    One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, speak a few reasonable words...

Beans

Check the default launch command of vlc - in hardy it is vlc %U which is unsuitable for autoplaying dvds.

Right click on Applications -> edit menus. Highlight sound and video and on the right side, right click on vlc -> properties. If the command shows vlc %U then change to vlc %f.