Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When the monitor does not wake up from the sleep mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

When the monitor does not wake up from the sleep mode

After certain amount of time of idleness the monitor goes into power-saving mode. That is, goes to sleep. Then pressing any key or moving the mouse should wake the display up. This is the normal behavior, something that one would expect to happen.

For some reason on my multiple user system the display woke up only occasionally. More often it did not. Then I had to turn off the monitor from the power switch and the back on again. That helped, but it was quite frustrating. Searching the net and forums consumed time but brought no help.

I figured out that with the users who had not changed the power-saving or screen saver settings the monitor acted normally. After some experimenting I found out that personal power-saving and monitor settings are stored in .gconfd/saved_state and .nvidia-settings-rc. So I renamed both of those files with .old extension to disable them.

For now it seems that the monitor is back to normal behavior. It wakes up as it should. But why does altering the time of inactivity after which the monitor goes to sleep or screen saver activation time would cause the monitor not waking up?

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy on Asus P5k se/epu motherboard, Asus nVidia en7300gt Silent graphics card and Acer x243w monitor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: When the monitor does not wake up from the sleep mode

I have the same Acer X243w, and it's been doing this to me under Ubuntu 8.10, Vista Ultimate, and XP Pro SP3. No rhyme or reason to it. I personally think it has something to do with the monitor itself and not necessarily the power scheme set in the OS.

For comparison's sake, mine is currently connected via DVI to an nVidia 7300 PCI-E x16 low-profile card in a Dell GX280 Small form factor desktop (P4-HT 3.0GHz, 4GB DDR2 800, etc, etc) but has been tested on a few other machines, and the results were always the same. Intermittent failure to resume from suspend with mouse/keyboard activity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have the same problem in my desktop. I thought it was due to my special configuration. I have a Full HD TV connected wwith HDMI to my nvidia 8600 card. Recently I have changed (the old died) to a nvidia 9800GT card, but it didn't help at all.
    I also have multiuser envinronment but I haven't seen any difference when I'm with one or more users logged at the same time.
    The only solution is to rebot or to switch off completely the TV (disconnecting the power).
    This problem I had it with my Ubuntu 8.04 and with a fresh install of 8.10. I usually kept the nVidia drivers up to date, so it seems it doesn't have any relation with it.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Hi Uikku . . . I see that you have an ASUS EN7300GT Silent card . . . I cannot for the life of me get it to work correctly. I'm running in "low-graphics mode" (new install here). Can you give me a walkthrough of installing the correct drivers for it?

Any advice would be trememdously appreciated.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

JavaBeanHead: As is the case with almost any nVidia card under Ubuntu these days, drivers for yours can be enabled (read: automatically detect correct version, then download & install it) under System > Administration > Hardware Drivers.

Enable the recommended one if given multiple choices, provide your password when prompted, it'll apply all changes, and then a reboot will be necessary. That's all there is to it.
    HP HDX18: Intel Core2Quad Q9000, 8GB DDR3, 60GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD, 500GB 7200 WD Scorpio Black, 1GB Nvidia GT130M, Win7 Pro x64, sometimes Ubuntu.
    2 x Netgear ProSafe GS108, WRT160N (tomato), uATX PIII-933 m0n0wall

Beans
    Distro

Xyphur,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, I've done this, and I'm not getting the resolutions I'm after. Trying to figure a way to get a resolution higher than 1024x768.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Make & model # of your monitor?
    HP HDX18: Intel Core2Quad Q9000, 8GB DDR3, 60GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD, 500GB 7200 WD Scorpio Black, 1GB Nvidia GT130M, Win7 Pro x64, sometimes Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

My apologies (and geeeez you're quick!) KDS K-22MDWB.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Forgot to ask, analog or digital connection?

And what version of Ubuntu also?

(When I notice someone I'm trying to help out is online, I lurk around and hit F5 until there's a new post )

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: When the monitor does not wake up from the sleep mode

Oh . . . analog, and 8.10. But before I go any further . . . I am not quite sure what happened here, but I fixed it.

First of all . . . relative n00b here . . . I have to learn NOT to use System >> Preferences >> Screen Resolution when using an NVIDIA card . . . gotta change screen resolution via System >> Administration >> NVIDIA X Server Settings.

But that wasn't the core of the problem because even the NVIDIA X Server Settings wasn't giving me the resolution I wanted. After creating about 5-6 different versions of my xorg.conf file . . . and even installing/uninstalling envyng-gtk . . . I resorted back to the xorg.conf.failsafe.

Code:
    cp xorg.conf.failsafe xorg.conf
    Reboot.

It finally came out of low graphics mode. *whew*

Anyway after reading a bajillion threads on the subject, I was convinced that it had to do with the HorizSync and VertRefresh issue but had not gotten it to work. So after going back to the drawingboard with the failsafe xorg.conf, I simply added the HorizSync and VertRefresh values specific to my model of monitor an NOTHING ELSE.

No
    Code:
    Option          "UseEDID"                       "False"
    in the Device section.

And no
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
                  Identifier      "Default Screen"
                  DefaultDepth    24
                  SubSection "Display"
                               Depth           24
                               Modes           "1680x1050"
                  EndSubSection
    EndSection
    either.

Lesson learned: Start with the xorg.conf.failsafe file to be at ground zero, work your way up. No EnvyNG (just not specific enough, and it was enough to throw me off completely because I used that as a springboard to start editing a dirty xorg.conf file.

Threads that helped me out most:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...#Ubuntu%207.10
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....20/+bug/91292
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

Sir I am greatful for your attempt, and I'm sorry if I've wasted your time. I can only redocument what I have not found yet, and hope that it makes things better.

Now, off to fix a printer that won't connect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast