Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAQ - How do I ask a Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

FAQ - How do I ask a Question

If "How do I ask a Question" had been in the FAQ, it would have saved me hours. So, would that be a reasonable suggestion to make?
    Phil
    PS - sorry if this all seems needlessly circular...

Beans

Re: FAQ - How do I ask a Question

What exactly do you mean?

We have this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=726219

Beans
    Hidden!

The form's menu bar contains a drop down menu called Forum Help which in turns contains an entry Forum FAQ.

Now, if you want to be tedious, there is no obvious way for the question "How do I ask a question" to be a Frequently Asked Question.

The Guide to the forum's features - useful as it is - can not be reached from the Forum's FAQ. There is no navigation path from the FAQ to the Guide.

I would read the OP as a suggestion the place either the Guide or a link to the Guide into the FAQ thread.

Beans

Is there a clear answer on how to ask a question or is it part of a windows update to come? Seems incredibly hidden.

There seems to be an almost intentional effort to make it hard to get help. And if I knew anything about the guts of Ubuntu would I need to ask a question?

For someone: firefox 3.5 started it, i think. Update triangle comes several times a day and usually doesn't show any updates needed.

GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 4874D3686E80C6B7Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080702.1)/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080702.1)/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead. I'll try google, it usually works, but if someone has an answer, I'd sure appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by amudman View Post
    Is there a clear answer on how to ask a question or is it part of a windows update to come? Seems incredibly hidden.

There seems to be an almost intentional effort to make it hard to get help. And if I knew anything about the guts of Ubuntu would I need to ask a question?

For someone: firefox 3.5 started it, i think. Update triangle comes several times a day and usually doesn't show any updates needed.

GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net jaunty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 4874D3686E80C6B7Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080702.1)/dists/hardy/main/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Failed to fetch cdrom://Ubuntu 8.04.1 _Hardy Heron_ - Release i386 (20080702.1)/dists/hardy/restricted/binary-i386/Packages Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead. I'll try google, it usually works, but if someone has an answer, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Try this
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

im a newb and...well how should i put this -___-
    how do i post a question? i mean come on there should be a POST QUESTION BUTTON or something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherperson View Post
    how do i post a question? i mean come on there should be a POST QUESTION BUTTON or something
    Hi and welcome, choose a section like Absolute Beginner Talk
    and the new thread button in the left top corner.
    Last edited by overdrank; March 27th, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherperson View Post
    A friendly "Welcome to the forums".
    That you were able to ask your question here in "Forum Feedback and help" shows that you are on the right track for asking questions.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i kno im just replyin here but i dont kno how to post questions HELP!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_Gangtux View Post
    i kno im just replyin here but i dont kno how to post questions HELP!!!
    read 2 posts above yours and click on the pretty picture. a picture is worth a thousand words.

in a forum, there are posts, called THREADS. when you want to start a new post, or THREAD as it were, you probably click on a button titled, oddly enough, NEW THREAD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast