Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Get Sound Juicer to rip MP3's

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Get Sound Juicer to rip MP3's

I have found a very nice tool called "abcde". It is a tool for cd ripping and encoding. It's not a graphical tool, but a command line tool - a script actually - but it is not difficult to use - it's very easy. It does averyting for you. Just put the cd in the tray, launc a console window, write abcde, ansver a couple of simple questions, and then it do everything for you. Very effective and simple. I don't know if it's in Ubuntus resopitories. I picked mine from Debians testing.

Good luck
    Last edited by Humboldt; January 20th, 2005 at 01:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by unperson
    You can also follow this guide to build gstreamer0.8-lame from source in the ubuntu universe repository:

http://www.columbia.edu/~jr2075/gstr...me-how-to.html

It does require that you've grabbed lame and liblame-dev, for example from the marillat repository. The advantage to this is not having to grab a binary package from some less well known repository.

Nick
    Does this work for PPC? I have found repositories with liblame, but nothing with gstreamer0.8-lame. Nor does the liblame-dev package appear to be available for PPC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by chele
    Does this work for PPC? I have found repositories with liblame, but nothing with gstreamer0.8-lame. Nor does the liblame-dev package appear to be available for PPC.
    Yes.

The repository to use is:

deb http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~...ux-ppc/debian/ unstable/

~$ sudo apt-get update
    ~$ sudo apt-get install liblame-dev
    ~$ sudo apt-get source gstreamer0.8-misc
    ~$ cd gst-plugins0.8-0.8.7/
    ~$ ./configure --prefix=/usr
    ~$ cd ext/lame
    ~$ make
    ~$ sudo make install
    ~$ sudo gst-register-0.8

I now choose MP3 as an option in Sound Juicer. And 1/2 an hour later, I have ripped an audio CD to MP3. Why it takes so long, I am no sure. Something to do with Apple hardware I hear.

Beans

it works! nice tip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've got liblame0 and gstreamer-lame installed but I get no option in Sound Juicer for MP3. In fact, it is not even greyed out on my version 2.9.91 of Sound Juicer (on Hoary). I only have the options for cdlossless, cdlossy, or raw. I can edit the cdlossy format in configuration editor but I don't know what I need to change to get MP3 encoding. My current cdlossy configuration is:
    /system/gstreamer/audio/profiles/cdlossy/pipeline
    audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! vorbisenc name=enc quality=0.5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

One of the first things I did after installation was "sudo apt-get remove sound-juicer; sudo apt-get install grip" Maybe it's just because it's what I'm used to, but I much prefer Grip, and it's ridiculously easy to change the bitrate, and any other option you care to mention.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by reedlaw
    I've got liblame0 and gstreamer-lame installed but I get no option in Sound Juicer for MP3. In fact, it is not even greyed out on my version 2.9.91 of Sound Juicer (on Hoary). I only have the options for cdlossless, cdlossy, or raw. I can edit the cdlossy format in configuration editor but I don't know what I need to change to get MP3 encoding. My current cdlossy configuration is:
    /system/gstreamer/audio/profiles/cdlossy/pipeline
    audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! vorbisenc name=enc quality=0.5
    once you have the gstreamer-lame encoder installed you can rip mp3s using any setting that lame enables. I alter the GConf key...

/system/gstreamer/audio/profiles/cdlossy/

to

extension mp3
    pipeline audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc preset=1002

* changed vorbisenc to lame
    * changed extension from ogg to mp3
    * changed quality=0.5 to preset=1002

I got the preset=1002 from the plugin settings -- to find out what options you can use

* install the gstreamer pipline editor
    * run it from the programming menu
    * From the Utility Palette window select Codec->Encoder->Audio->lame
    * From the Properties window (you may need to enable it from the View menu item if it is now visible)
    * Look at all the properties you can select!
    * Enter any options you want into the pipeline key (as above with the preset option)

Now open sound-juicer and select cdlossy.

Much nicer than grip

Will

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by will_rat
    once you have the gstreamer-lame encoder installed you can rip mp3s using any setting that lame enables. I alter the GConf key...

/system/gstreamer/audio/profiles/cdlossy/

to

extension mp3
    pipeline audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc preset=1002

* changed vorbisenc to lame
    * changed extension from ogg to mp3
    * changed quality=0.5 to preset=1002

I got the preset=1002 from the plugin settings -- to find out what options you can use

* install the gstreamer pipline editor
    * run it from the programming menu
    * From the Utility Palette window select Codec->Encoder->Audio->lame
    * From the Properties window (you may need to enable it from the View menu item if it is now visible)
    * Look at all the properties you can select!
    * Enter any options you want into the pipeline key (as above with the preset option)

Now open sound-juicer and select cdlossy.

Much nicer than grip

Will
    nicer my ass... the options are all in strange codes and there are 3 diferent lames: lame0, lame1, lame2... and by the way... where is ABR???

Beans

heres what i get when i try to apt-get update(or the synaptic equivalent) with marillat's repository

W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.nerim.net unstable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907

my repository is set in synaptic as
    type binary
    url ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/
    distribution unstable
    section main
    Last edited by Muchacho_Gasolino; April 2nd, 2005 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Muchacho_Gasolino
    heres what i get when i try to apt-get update(or the synaptic equivalent) with marillat's repository

W: GPG error: ftp://ftp.nerim.net unstable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907

my repository is set in synaptic as
    type binary
    url ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/
    distribution unstable
    section main
    That shouldn't affect the installation of those packages, but you should be able to solve the problem by importing the relevant public key, as described on Christian Marillat's site.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast