Thread: Video ActiveX?

Beans

Video ActiveX?

What is it and how can I get it?
    yo

Beans

Re: Video ActiveX?

That's a great example on a poorly formed question

You have to provide more information on why you want this "Video ActiveX", what it's used for and so on.

Generally speaking, a ActiveX control is something that is found and used in MS Windows-only, and thus is really hard to find for ubuntu. But i bet there is a linux-equivalent to the app you are searching

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marenkar View Post
    What is it and how can I get it?
    As mentioned, ActiveX is windows only.

What do you want to accomplish?

Beans

I'm just trying to find applications now that I remember I had in windows so that if ever i'd need them quick, i'd already have them.
    yo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Video ActiveX uses ActiveX, a proprietary windows format. There is no way you can use it on any *nix.

And, more importantly, I seem to remember a while ago getting a message to install video activex, and having a dialog pop up with "Install" and "Cancel". whatever you clicked it installed a virus. I would generally stay away from any kind of ActiveX and IE in particular.

For the tl;dr people : it is a virus and doesn't work on linux.
    Ubuntu 9.10 on an Aspire 5103WLMi | AMD Turion TL52 X2 (1.6Ghz @ 1.81 Ghz [Overclock]) | 120 Gb PATA IDE HDD | 2048 Mb DRR2-800 RAM | ATi Mobility Radeon X1300 (fglrx) | Broadcom BCM4318MPG (ndiswrapper + bcmwl5.sys) |

Beans

So mainly someone wants to have a virus on his PC so that he has him in case he needs him?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage View Post
    So mainly someone wants to have a virus on his PC so that he has him in case he needs him?
    Seems I confused you. tl;dr means Too Long; Don't Read. ie, short conclusion for lazy people.

Note to OP: use vlc, totem or mplayer as a video player.
    Ubuntu 9.10 on an Aspire 5103WLMi | AMD Turion TL52 X2 (1.6Ghz @ 1.81 Ghz [Overclock]) | 120 Gb PATA IDE HDD | 2048 Mb DRR2-800 RAM | ATi Mobility Radeon X1300 (fglrx) | Broadcom BCM4318MPG (ndiswrapper + bcmwl5.sys) |