Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you recommend openSuse?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Would you recommend openSuse?

I noticed you mentioned hardware detection, however, I see no mention of peripheral devices, printers, external monitors etc. Could you relate your experience attaching any of these devices and their detection and usability. Also please compare Yast to Synaptic and tell us all how Yast is much EASIER AND MORE EFFICIENT TO USE.
    Last edited by d_skillz; October 24th, 2008 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by d_skillz View Post
    I noticed you mentioned hardware detection, however, I see no mention of peripheral devices, printers, external monitors etc. Could you relate your experience attaching any of these devices and their detection and usability. Also please compare Yast to Synaptic and tell us all how Yast is much EASIER AND MORE EFFICIENT TO USE.
    • I got my printer working without a lot of fuss (HP Deksjet 950C) on both systems.
    • I don't remember my scanner, well I do remember my scanner from like Hoary Hedgehog giving me trouble but that's ancient history and I would not put any weight into that.
    • My Adesso tablet was not recognized with either system as a tablet, but both of them recognized it as a pointing device (instead of precision movement it was relative movement).
    • Both systems cloned onto an external monitor without any issues

One thing to keep in mind is Yast is more than just for installing/updating software. Yast also provides configuring your network / wireless cards, samba settings, Apache, peripherals, firewall, users and almost everything else. Ubuntu uses separate applications listed in one spot.

Also, using Yast means that you use the same utility regardless of if you are using Gnome, KDE or Xfce (or window managers). Right now I'm in Xfce and I keep having to hunt and peck for my applications in the main menu, though this will change as I get more used to it.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d_skillz View Post
    Very disappointing distro, installed and plugged in two printers HPDeskjet3940 and HPLaserjet2600n gave me a VERY HARD TIME TO INSTALL. Drivers installed by default did not work. Cannot handle the simple plug-and-play concept of computing. As for their package management try manually installing an application from Yast or terminal and you will have a very hard time. Ubuntu cannot be simpler just plug, play, print surf, etc.
    Did you install the hp packages from Yast, I don't think they're installed by default on the DVD release.

The fact that Novell is in bed with Microsoft is really just icing on the cake. OpenSUSE has more than enough other flaws to warrant using another distro.
    If you don't like Novell I think you should seriously consider not using Ubuntu, Novell have worked on a lot of projects including a variety of those which are included with Ubuntu by default.
    Last edited by Vince4Amy; October 24th, 2008 at 09:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    If you don't like Novell I think you should seriously consider not using Ubuntu, Novell have worked on a lot of projects including a variety of those which are included with Ubuntu by default.
    Of course that includes XGL, Tomboy, Banshee, F-Spot and anything else that runs under Mono, KDE 3, KDE 4, AppArmor, Evolution, OpenOffice.org, Xen ... oh, and the kernel because they have contributed to the kernel regardless of whether they have contributed as much as Red Hat or not.

Remember, Novell is a large company with different components in addition to the amount of work they have done for Open Source projects and promotion;
    • SUSE (SLED and SLES) operating system
    • Netware
    • Mono
    • and is the only sponsor of openSUSE

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To answer the original question:
    Based on what a user needed, and my own positive experience, yes.
    No need to say more.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here we go, for the not-wanting-to-touch-Novell, here is a list of Novell Supported Projects.

I'm interested if Canonical has one, it would help in shutting up the naysayers saying Canoncial doesn't return anything to the community (which is b.s.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Here we go, for the not-wanting-to-touch-Novell, here is a list of Novell Supported Projects.

I'm interested if Canonical has one, it would help in shutting up the naysayers saying Canoncial doesn't return anything to the community (which is b.s.)
    Thanks for posting that link I was looking for that to post here earlier. This is exactly my point, Novell does so much and receives a lot of flames in return.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    Thanks for posting that link I was looking for that to post here earlier. This is exactly my point, Novell does so much and receives a lot of flames in return.
    That list is also old, They do a ton for the kernel now and have started creating tools for windows/linux work, which is needed. You will never get 100% of people over to linux or vice versa, but you will have to work with them. The easier that is the better. Not to mention the tons of work on KDE4 that suse has put forward.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There are those I guess who prefer OpenSuse but they would not be here. I have recently looked at OpenSuse 11 on the live CD. But Ubuntu seems by far the better choice for me.
    I am on a high at the moment. I last ran linux as RH7.2 some years back. It was the most stable system until it was updated. Then until now I have had nothing be hardware conflicts and that can be expensive to resolve. Now my desktop is Ubuntu 8.04 and hopefully my laptop will follow in the next day or so.

Beans

yast makes all the money... the cd`s money i mean

Linux Archive
    Last edited by ghodkiller; November 9th, 2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast