Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you recommend openSuse?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Would you recommend openSuse?

I have seen many ppl use openSuse at work (I use Ubuntu) .. I wanted to giv it a try and installed it on my laptop .. Its been great so far .. The integration with KDE4 feels absolutely flawless .. Yast, one central place for all settings is awesome too ..

I am not an expert when it comes to all these different distros .. I wanna how do kubuntu & openSuse differ? I know opensuse is redhat/fedora based while kubuntu is debian based .. so the package format is rpm ..

wht r the drawbacks of opensuse?
    Like I said, m just starting to learn about the architecture, back-end stuff through kubuntu .. so would you recommend opensuse at the same time coz they really differ architecture-wise?
    why do u prefer one over the other?

Sorry abt the long post!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Would you recommend openSuse?

IMHO OpenSuse is crap. It made my select the only sound card in my pc as the default to use before I heard any sound! Also, the package manager, even tough it's a lot faster in opensuse 11.0, is still a lot slower than that of ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by eragon100 View Post
    IMHO OpenSuse is crap. It made my select the only sound card in my pc as the default to use before I heard any sound! Also, the package manager, even tough it's a lot faster in opensuse 11.0, is still a lot slower than that of ubuntu.
    Thanks for the reply .. For me, sound worked out of the box .. I heard that the Yast2 package manager is generations behind Synaptic ..
    That, the number of packages & the awesome community (I get instant replies on these forums whenever I need help.. wht more can u ask for) are wht r pulling me back to ubuntu ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

One other thing: I don't give a ****, but some people are angry at the fact that Novell, OpenSuse's sponsor, has signed a deal with Microsoft. This allows Novell to implement things in their products that other linux distributors can't use without risking patent infringement accusations from microsoft. As I said above, I would use OpenSuse if it worked better no matter what, but you might be interested to know this.

Beans
    Hidden!

I didn't really see too much of a differance..then again i didn't go past the live cd. OpenSuse didn't have any drivers for my wireless but then again neither did Ubuntu 8.04's liveCD so idk I'll stick with Ubuntu for now.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Pays your money takes your pick (and in this case possibly quite literally.

OpenSUSE is often seen as quite a bleeding edge distro since it often includes new developments that will be included in SUSE's enterprise editions. And this in turn may b=mean the distro is less stable.

Some folk like the kitchen sink method of OpenSUSE where it throws in all the apps imaginable. Others have concerns over its links with Microsoft.

Anyway, there's a section of the forums here dedicated to OpenSUSE here: Other OS Talk: OpenSUSE (which is where I reckon this thread will end up!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

In my experience a friend was installing it on his laptop and it was taking ages to download the updates. I guess they have a slow server or some thing..

Beans

I've used OpenSUSE before and found it slow, bloated, and more difficult to use than (K)Ubuntu.

Some of my dislike has to do with fundamental design issues. Its package manager, as others have mentioned, still has a lot of room for improvement. The YaST control panel is a good idea in concept, but it isn't as easy to use as Mandriva's control panel and the concept of having two separate control panels with overlapping functions and unclear distinctions could be very confusing to new users.

The fact that Novell is in bed with Microsoft is really just icing on the cake. OpenSUSE has more than enough other flaws to warrant using another distro.
    “Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side effect.”
    -Linus Torvalds
    Keeping the side effect going since Summer 2007

Moved to OpenSuse discussion area.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've used openSUSE 10.2, 10.3 and 11.0 so far and I've found it pretty good.

OpenSUSE has been better on hardware detection than even Ubuntu in my experience.
    • In the computer club we have a Dell Server and CentOS and Ubuntu couldn't install on it while openSUSE 10.2 installed without a hitch.
    • On my laptop, before Ubunut 8.04, only openSUSE managed to hibernate and suspend.

OpenSUSE has probably the nicest KDE implementation out there.
    KDE 3.5 has had the slab menu choice that is in KDE 4 before there WAS a KDE 4. Since openSUSE is, I think, one of the largest KDE supporters/developers then I think I know where KDE 4 got their menu design...

Yast2 in openSUSE 11 is a LOT faster than in previously used version. The fact that it is available over a CLI makes it handy for running a headless server.

For those that don't want to use Yast, there is Zypper and SMART.

Regardless, Ubuntu and Synaptic makes updating and installing easier, partially because it isn't all bundled. Even Adept is pretty good.

I have no problem with the Novell-Microsoft deal. I use Microsoft products at work so anything that helps me be less dependent on Microsoft for it is a boon to my existence.

Also, I develop in .NET and if the Novell-Microsoft deal means that Mono is more compatible with .NET then that makes my skills more transferable.

Also, I think Novell is acting as a sort of "open source conscious" for Microsoft. Being a large company like Microsoft they understand how large companies work without having the attitudes Red Hat has.

Their One-Click makes installations even easier sometimes and they have some communal build service I don't quite understand.

OpenSUSE is my 2nd choice distribution.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast