Thread: [SOLVED] New Airport Extreme; Static IP Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] New Airport Extreme; Static IP Problems

Hello all,

My networking setup used to work fine. I had a Ubuntu box plugged into an Airport Extreme with a physical cord. The Ubuntu box had a static internal IP as 192.168.1.200. All other clients that connected with a wired or wireless connection to the Airport Extreme used a DHCP lease.

The Airport Express crapped out and I had to get a new one. Now, I have an interesting problem. All is working fine except:

The Ubuntu box will not open outgoing connections.

I can SSH to it from another computer via "ssh 192.168.1.200". No problem there. But I cannot open a web page, or ping google.com from Terminal.

When I switch the networking on the Ubuntu box to use DHCP, everything works fine. But I don't want to have it set up this way.

The problem must be with a setting on the Airport Extreme, I am thinking. I have it set so that the DHCP leases run from 192.168.1.02 through 192.168.1.199, so it's not interfering that way.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Trouble Without Outbound Connections Using Static IP

Hello all,

My networking setup used to work fine. I had a Ubuntu box plugged into an Apple Airport Extreme with a physical cord. The Ubuntu box had a static internal IP as 192.168.1.200. All other clients that connected with a wired or wireless connection to the Airport Extreme used a DHCP lease.

The Airport Extreme crapped out and I had to get a new one. Now, I have an interesting problem. All is working fine except:

The Ubuntu box will not open outgoing connections.

I can SSH to it from another computer via "ssh 192.168.1.200". No problem there. From another computer, I can also open a web page at http://192.168.1.200. But from the Ubuntu box, I cannot open a web page, or ping google.com from the terminal.

When I switch the networking on the Ubuntu box to use DHCP, everything works fine. But I don't want to have it set up this way because I have several backup scripts set to see it as 192.168.1.200.

The problem must be with a setting on the Airport Extreme, I am thinking. I have it set so that the DHCP leases run from 192.168.1.02 through 192.168.1.199, so it's not interfering that way.

In Ubuntu's "Network Settings / eth0 properties", I have:

Static IP Address
    IP: 192.168.1.200
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0 (matches what I see in the Airport config)
    Gateway address: 192.168.1.1

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Trouble Without Outbound Connections Using Static IP

Update: I have no idea how it happened since I didn't make any changes, but everything is working fine for me now. Just as I typed the post, I returned to the computer and was able to get a connection. Thanks for looking!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: New Airport Extreme; Static IP Problems

Threads merged.
    Nice to see you got it to work, BTW
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]