Thread: Toshiba Satellite PRO 6000 Wireless WEP

Beans

Toshiba Satellite PRO 6000 Wireless WEP

I just installed Ubuntu in my old toshiba due to lack of windows driver support (go figure)

I love it so far but I had to unsecured my wireless to make it work. The Orionco wireless card in here supports wireless Encryption through good old WEP but not WPA. I had a code in the router, and I tried to enter it in the network settings menu.

it may be a driver issue and I'm looking into that, but I saw a few other users using this old laptop when I went to fix the video resolution issue earlier so I figure someone might know what I need to do.

I really dont want to leave my network open, so I hope someone gets back to me soon

Beans

Re: Toshiba Satellite PRO 6000 Wireless WEP

still no help?

Beans

42 reads, no replies

Beans

Yo! Same problem here, sort of. I'm running a small home based business called Penguin Migrations here in beautiful Penticton, BC, Canada, and one of my current projects is installing Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite M45-S2692. I was able to connect here at home to my own wireless network, which routes through an SE567 using WEP64 for security, but when my client takes the machine home, or rather, to the small motel room he's currently calling home, then, no connection, same as you. The motel is also using WEP64, and we have the right key, but it just refuses to connect for us. I upgraded to Intrepid with the dim hope that the problem would just go away, but no luck. Now I, like you, am left scratching my head, and really, I have no help for you. I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone, and to remind you that other people are looking for a solution also, so if you do find a solution, please post it.

For those of you who might be interested in hunting down the cause of this problem, I don't know much about the network at my clients motel, but they are running an older version of windows,(sick) 40 and I'm told that macs also have trouble connecting to their network. I am unlikely to be able to et much more than that from them, but I'll certainly try if there is a piece of information a real problem solver needs.

Anyhow, back to business. I'm going to look through the message boards to see if I can learn anything, and if not, I'll expand my search to other debian based distros, and if I still can't find anything, I'll try downgrading to ubuntu 6, then to something with a redhat flavor, like Mandriva or PCLinux, and again, I'll let you know if I find a solution.

Tony

Penguin Migrations - smashing Windows and breaking Gates is all we really do.

Beans

yo. PCLinux fixed it for me. not the solution I would have liked, but the happy customer is more important. only real big downfall here is that pclinux dont have miro.