Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] problems with the repository

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: problems with the repository

Your sources.list looks fine. You can't run /etc/apt/sources.list as it's not a program/script (only a text file). Hence the error when using sudo. If those commands work, you've looked at the sources.list files with the first command and the second one downloads and installs all of the updates. It looks like your update manager program is somehow corrupted. First try running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    to try to repair any damaged packages and then run Update Manager again.
    If you still get an error it might be worth trying a re-install via Synaptic Package Manager. Search for update-manager. The two things you want to reinstall are update-manager and update-manager-core. Right click on the green box next to them and select Mark for Reinstallation and then click on Apply. If this doesn't work I'm not sure what to suggest.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

hmm
    i tried re-installing the update manager via synaptic package manager, but it still does it. Did you see that it always has a 403 forbidden error? do you know if thats like a http 404 error?
    Intel Core i7 950, XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB, 6GB PC3-10600U, Windows 7 Pro x64, SyncMaster 2243SW, Dell E2210H; Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB PC2-6400U, Windows Server 2008 running ADDS, File Services, DNS and DHCP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The sources.lst file is fine. The 403 error is coming from perfectly standard Ubuntu repositories that should just work (and which do work for the rest of us).

The first step is to try a couple of other servers and see whether it is possible to fix the problem thus. Use the “Select best server” button, or manually select a nearby server in the UK, Ireland or France.
    If people were nicer, I'd answer more queries here!

Beans

well, when i go to update manager and click check, it happens.
    ive tried a few servers, and i tried best server, but it claimed that a server from thailand was the best for me.
    Intel Core i7 950, XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB, 6GB PC3-10600U, Windows 7 Pro x64, SyncMaster 2243SW, Dell E2210H; Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB PC2-6400U, Windows Server 2008 running ADDS, File Services, DNS and DHCP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, let's see if this problem only occurs with APT, or is more general.

Code:
    wget http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/partner/binary-i386/Packages.gz
    zless Packages.gz
    That should display a long list of information about packages. (Press “q” to exit.)

Does it work, or does it give you a 403 error? Paste the output if it fails.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A http 404 error is web page not found. A 403 error occurs when you try to go to a private web page which you need special privileges (for example a login password and you've tried to access it without the password).
    How are you accessing the web ? via a corporate lan/college/university ? If so you may need to speak to the system administrator in order to get additional user privileges.
    Last edited by Kevbert; October 24th, 2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Access q added
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

hmm, that worked fine. Is that related to using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
    , which also worked fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbert View Post
    A http 404 error is web page not found. A 403 error occurs when you try to go to a private web page which you need special privileges (for example a login password and you've tried to access it without the password).
    How are you accessing the web ? via a corporate lan/college/university ? If so you may need to speak to the system administrator in order to get additional user privileges.
    No, im using my home connection. The only thing that might stop it is im usign a BT HomeHub wireless router - would this changed anything, even though i disabled it's firewall?
    even if it did, that would stop the terminal apt-get working as well, right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by plasmarox View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
    As far as I can tell, you're saying it's all fine now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by plasmarox View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
    As far as I can tell, you're saying it's all fine now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast