Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Card choice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Video Card choice

Hi, sorry if i ask something that lot of people asked but i don;t find a thread with this stuff...

I'm buying computer , i don't want to spend all my money and wanted to know what do you recommend about the graphic card ,

i think to buy

Processor Q6600 (quad core)
    Motherboard Intel DP35DP
    4 gb Ram DDR2-800 mhz
    T220 Samsung LCD 22 inch (2 ms)

I use all the time Ubuntu but thought to install Win XP on a small hardrive , i don't think i will play a lot , just PRO evolution soccer or something like this NBA LIVE on Windows XP boot.

So i want NVIDIA but....9800 family? or 8800 family? GT ? GTS ? GTX ? GTX+?
    or maybe i don;t need this high end stuff on linux ?

thank you very much

Beans
    Distro

Re: Video Card choice

please??

Beans

No you don't need GPU horsepower for compiz and that stuff. I'd go for a gt8600, or maybe a ati hd3850 if you want an ATI card. The Nvidia will probably work best out of the box though.

I had a intel dp35dp mainboard a while ago (maybe you researched this and read my posts about it even?) - it was very nice for running ubuntu, but i honestly never got it to suspend sucessfully in any other distro actually.
    Also, i had this problem with the CPU fan not starting up after resuming from suspend from time to time.
    I would probably go for an asus p5k/p5e (or eqvivalent). Also check the ubuntu HCL for advice.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Hidden!

I am running a 9600gt, i love it, but i don't need it for linux. It's for far cry 2 on xp
    What Linux Distribution Fits You?
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 3 GB DDR2 RAM | Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT | Ubuntu 9.04
    Get JDownloader Today!

Beans
    Distro

okey...understand...
    didn;t read your threads but i will
    about the 9600...i see that 8800 family is powerfull than 9600

is important if i use large pictures, or video HD , or just for games is the 9800 family?

Beans

You can forget about Purevide HD acceleration from Nvidia in linux. If that's what you want, ATI/Intel is your best bet. Intel only does IGP (integrated video cards) but they are underpowered for new games on windows.
    Works great with linux though. (for the most part).

The 8600GT is dirt cheap, and more than enough, so i don't understand why you would go for a 8800 for compiz and some light gaming?
    Also, the 8600GT doesn't get very hot, so it's quiet as well.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
    I am running a 9600gt, i love it, but i don't need it for linux. It's for far cry 2 on xp
    i see posts that 9600gt doesn;t work very well and driver doesn;t support HD use ..

Beans
    Distro

i really don;t know what to buy...is difficult to pick a card reading all the Ubuntu forums!

Beans

You will be going dual boot so I would suggest a good graphics card. From my current experience I would stay away from ATI cards for linux and go for an older Nvidia card. I have an older Nvidia 8800 in my 2nd computer and it gives me no problem in Ubuntu and yet can still play most games in XP or Visa at pretty high resolutions.

Beans
    Distro

okey...greats ,,and what about HD movies ? can you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast