Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Card choice

Beans

Re: Video Card choice

sorry to be a thread jacker. But i am having a similar debate. My desktop right now is running just the integrated Nvidia chip. It is ok, but really bogs down sometimes, and i haven't been able to get Ubuntu working on it. (only tried Feisty) So the issue that i have is that i only have a PC Powere & Cooling 310 watt ps. First, would a card like this: EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT be pretty easy to set up in Ubuntu? and would my PS be able to handle it.

*i am running 2 sata HD's, an AuzenTech AZT-XPCINE sound card, and that is about it.

Beans

okey...greats ,,and what about HD movies ? can you?
    Sure you can. With that cpu, HD hardware acceleration is not an issue.

First, would a card like this: EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT be pretty easy to set up in Ubuntu? and would my PS be able to handle it.
    I did run a c2d 8500 (it's not cunsuming much power though) + 1 sata hd + gf8600gt on my chieftech m-atx chassi with a 270 watt PSU. Of course it may have been a quality PSU, but anyway - i had no problems at all.
    Hd:s do tend to eat a lot of power though.
    Yeah, as i previously said, nvidia cards are pretty much OOTB in linux, unless it's the latest cutting edge stuff.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Choose nvidia over ati. Ati's drivers are about 3x slower than on xp and come bundled with crashes and lack of hibernation/suspend support. After my experiences with ati, I won't buy with them again (unless they improve their drives )
    Ubuntu 9.10 on an Aspire 5103WLMi | AMD Turion TL52 X2 (1.6Ghz @ 1.81 Ghz [Overclock]) | 120 Gb PATA IDE HDD | 2048 Mb DRR2-800 RAM | ATi Mobility Radeon X1300 (fglrx) | Broadcom BCM4318MPG (ndiswrapper + bcmwl5.sys) |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nvidia is easiest to set up. 6,7, and 8 series cards are all excellent. I don't know what to say about HD movies, I haven't been there done that yet on my computer. The 9 series cards will get there, about this time next year I predict the drivers for the 9 series to be nearing maturaty(same thing happened with previous "new" series cards from nVidia).

Anyway +1 for Nvidia.

Beans

You can forget about Purevide HD acceleration from Nvidia in linux.
    I need to ressurect this thread, and retract that statement i did above ^
    As of nvidia driver 180.XX, nvidia will be adding purevideo support for 8x00 series and above; http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...80_vdpau&num=1
    Just thought you guys would like to hear that. It'll be included in the next release (jaunty jackalope), unless envy will be updated to include the 180.xx driver. But, it's only *beta* yet.
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12